Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

layer of film on top of water

I have a thin layer of film on top of the water on my planted tank. It has diy co2, medium planted and medium sized fish load with 3-4 in fish. There is a good amount of filtration. It is annoying me because it is blocking some of my precious lighting. Anyone got any sugestions on how to get rid of it?

Old 09-26-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I have found that dechlorinators with aloe, or a plant-based "slime coat stimulator/protectant" will give me this kind of film, but it could be dust or who knows what. The best way to handle it is to provide some slight water movement at the surface. You don't want to have a lot of splashing to outgas your CO2, so what I do is aim my spraybar from the canister filter to shoot the water directly at the surface laterally, so the water moves outward at the surface without splashing. This disturbs the surface enough to disrupt any film that might want to form.

If you increase water movement with powerheads underwater that will also help, or get a bigger filter. A tank with high water turnover from filtration won't get this film.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
film

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com