Layering my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not familiar with your particular model...but the order is mechanical, chemical (which you don't need) then biological filtration. Try to have the cleanest water contacting the media. In my Fluval 405 the flow goes bottom to top, and I have the mechanical filter pads, then poly-fil in my bottom baskets, bio-media in my middle 2 baskets, then random pieces of filter media to use if seeding material if necessary in my top basket.

Ok its 3 baskets that have ways to split them in half so this is what I was thinking...bottom to top... Black filter sponge in first basket then poly-fil in second then lava rock in third/possible split third basket and do lava rock and bio stars... Also in first basket it holds up to 4 filter sponge (atleast 2 has to be used) should I use 4 or less and they come in course and fine...what do u think

I have the 4 black sponges in the bottom (course on the bottom, working up to fine on top), ceramic rings in the middle, and polyfil in the top on mine.

I agree with rookie...course first working it's way to fine. I tried poly-fil in my top basket and found it has a habit of working it's way out of there if I don't keep it in the bottom. Personally I try to protect the bio-media as much as I can simply so it doesn't collect too much gunk and need cleaning other than a light swishing around in the tank water.

Last edited:
Why poly last just wondering and is the lava ok instead of catania because someone gave me a crap load

polyfil is always used last in most canisters to keep the impeller from getting clogged up with gunk, but placing it before the biomedia is totally fine. That way you protect both. Just keep it clean. Im not one for keeping dirtied sponges in the filter to prevent "drastic" biological bed disturbances ie washing your sponges.
By the way what kind of tank and fish do you have? Is it planted? Do you use ferts?

vialznk said:
polyfil is always used last in most canisters to keep the impeller from getting clogged up with gunk, but placing it before the biomedia is totally fine. That way you protect both. Just keep it clean. Im not one for keeping dirtied sponges in the filter to prevent "drastic" biological bed disturbances ie washing your sponges.
By the way what kind of tank and fish do you have? Is it planted? Do you use ferts?

I have a 55g with all live plants that I fert with seachem once a week it houses
7 peppered cory
6 bleeding heart tetras
5 harlequin rasborias
3 neons
2 guppies
2 flying foxes
2 farlowella cats
1 dwarf gourami
10 rcs (red cherry shrimp)
6 tiger shrimp
3 amano shrimp
And at least 6 baby rcs