Lazy betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My betta spends all his time in the corner of the tank under a plant leaf and comes out to eat but that's about it. He occasionally will interact with the other fish but goes and lays down again. Do they get lazier as they get older? The only other difference is he was put in a tank that is 2.5x bigger than his old one but he's been in it for about 3 months now.

Keep calm and drum on

What's the water temp and how old is he (roughly)?

I have a larger betta and he's pretty lazy compared to when he was younger. His favorite spot is laying under his swords or laying in front of his crypts. He does get active when he knows it's time for food or when I approach his tank. He has never been housed with other fish though, just snails and his tank is kept a warm 80° compared to when he was young I kept it around 72°.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yeah, 70 is pretty low for a betta. They definitely get slower as they get older but if you can turn up the heater a bit (slowly obviously) it would probably help.

I would agree with bumping up the temp a few degrees.
I thought that bettas and gouramis shouldn't be kept together? Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong I don't know a lot about labyrinth fish but I thought they didn't play well together. Just wondering if maybe that's why he tends to stick to a corner...

I would agree with bumping up the temp a few degrees.
I thought that bettas and gouramis shouldn't be kept together? Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong I don't know a lot about labyrinth fish but I thought they didn't play well together. Just wondering if maybe that's why he tends to stick to a corner...

Typically bettas and gourami don't get along but it also depends on the personality. My betta is super chil to the point he's been with other male bettas and have no issues.

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom