Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2003, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

lazy catfish

I've got a spotted pictus catfish in my 10 gallon tank. He's been in there for about three months now but I don't know if he's comfortable or not in there. I read somewhere that this fish is supposed to be fairly active but "Fluff" seems to like to hang out in a tunnel created by the lava rock. He doesn't even come out at feeding time (I have no idea what he's eating cuz I never see him eat. Of course I assume he must be eating or else he would be long dead by now.) The only time he really swims is when the gravel vac is around (he's real timid). Is this acceptable behavior? Is he stressed? cuz I know my water has a real high pH (closing in on 8 ) and I also read that they like more acidic waters. temp is 75, ites, ates and ammonia are just fine, tank mates are 2 bloodfin, 2 platys and a small gourami. I'd really just like to make sure that there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

(why does the number eight equal smiley face with sunglasses? that should read "...(closing in on eight and..."

how bizarre

Old 12-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh, and i feed them tropical fish flakes, sometimes algae pellets and brine shrimp when I think they deserve it.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

check in their about 15 minutes after the lights are off with a flash light..

30 Gallon Tang. Cube
Xp2
Yellow Cavlus and front friends.
christerrell2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mgkaelen
pictus catfish won't be good in a 10 gallon. they get extremely large and are best kept (and most active) when they're in groups of 3 or more; your 10g DEF can't hold that, though .. hope this helps!
1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
mgkaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
The 8 turned into a smiley because the emoticon 8) consists of an "8" and a ")." Fixed it for ya!

Yeah, think about a larger tank for that guy. He'll appreciate it!

And a lot of fish are just timid in a tank setting. Do you have a background? That helps keep fish at ease, as do more decorations (esp nice rocks, driftwood), as does keeping the tank in a quiet place.

I'm not surprised at this behaviour, though, as I think the guy needs some room to swim. He'll grow to 10 inches in a properly-sized tank. Don't mean to criticize but, as kaelen has correctly suggested, you need to think about upgrading your tank. Apart from anything else, it will give you great pleasure to see this guy gliding around the bottom of a beautiful new 55 gallon tank (I'd still get a bigger tank eventually...).

See my signature line? Catch the bug! Get more, bigger tanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mgkaelen
oh madasa--- one of my oto's died! i don't know what it was =( i'm scared to think that maybe he didn't have enough to eat.. there wasn't much algae in the tank yet, and i was putting a lot of algae wafers on the tank that just had to be siphoned out becvause they were uneaten and growing fungus! i put the other one in my 30 gal beause i am (WAS) having a red algae problem, and i didn't want this one to bite the dust too! now that my plants are starting to grow like crazy i think the oto can go back in the 10 -- check my profile for a crappy picture of the new tank.. the plants have already grown 2-3 inches since that picture, and it was taken last week! --- . this post doesn't belong here--....
1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
mgkaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh really? that's kind of disappointing. My LFS informed me that he wouldn't get any bigger than 5 or 6 inches. Well, thanks a lot, I hope I can muster the resources before he gets REALLY uncomfortable.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

"there wasn't much algae in the tank yet, and i was putting a lot of algae wafers on the tank that just had to be siphoned out becvause they were uneaten and growing fungus!"

What kind of algae wafers are you using? The Hikari wafers I put in my tank usually turn to mush and sink into the gavel before I get a chance to take them out.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a pictus cat and it's also almost always hiding. It comes out after I turn off the lights. It's still not too big in size. I keep him in a 30g tall tank. MY pictus is very shy. I'd love to see him swim around more but I guess he's just shy.

Are these fish shy in nature?

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com