Least aggressive barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
In your opinion, what are the LEAST agressive/nippy of the barbs? I have a 29 gallon with silver tips and serpae tetras (who were nippy themselves) and my boyfriend really wants to put like 5 barbs in with them. Nothing TOO overly aggressive. We've never kept barbs before so I dont want anything too mean. If thats even possible.
Any ideas? :D

My tigers were a little nippy and always fought for the leader of the pack. Never injured each other though

yeah I always figured if there were enough of a group of them they keep their aggression with each other. I just worry about my silver tips and serpaes. I dont want them getting nipped and bullied to death

I had my cherry barbs with serpaes and black phantoms and no issues whatsoever.

Maybe the ones Im thinking of are something else. What are the green ones called? emerald? Are the pretty aggressive I wonder

Hi Cherry barbs, petonza barbs,ruby barbs and checker barbs. I've only kept ruby and checker barbs both with know problems:) I have always found with barbs that if kept in groups of at least 6 then they are usually pretty good.

Ive never seen checker barbs before. I just looked them up they look neat

Paxdaddy said:
I have 5 gold barbs in my community tank and they have never caused a problem.

I feel like gold barbs are iffy .. they get to 3 inches, I've tried 2 different school over the last 2 years.. the first 6 , nipped fins and terrorized everyone... the second set of 5, attacked my cories all the time

Copachick said:
In your opinion, what are the LEAST agressive/nippy of the barbs? I have a 29 gallon with silver tips and serpae tetras (who were nippy themselves) and my boyfriend really wants to put like 5 barbs in with them. Nothing TOO overly aggressive. We've never kept barbs before so I dont want anything too mean. If thats even possible.
Any ideas? :D

The kind you don't put in your tank. J/k. My understanding is that they are all aggressive so its a toss up.

rreekers said:
I feel like gold barbs are iffy .. they get to 3 inches, I've tried 2 different school over the last 2 years.. the first 6 , nipped fins and terrorized everyone... the second set of 5, attacked my cories all the time

Wow. I guess I got lucky then. Mine just pick on each other. No damage though

Back
Top Bottom