Leaving Figure 8 Puffers for week.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickdavey126

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On March 24 of this year I will be leaving for Florida and I will be staying there a week. Obviously I cannot take my Figure 8 puffers, and unfortunately there is no one willing to watch them for me while i'm on vacation, does anyone have any ideas? I have a snail breeding setup that I recently started , and there is actually a few batches of eggs developing. I was think that maybe before I leave I could toss in a whole bunch of them and hopefully that could last them a week. Obviously with them being puffers I will be doing a water change before I go. I also need some info on lighting. Would it be bad to leave their light off? I would like to conserve in electricity and unplug everything unnecessary before I go , but if light is needed I will get some timers. I do have a window in my room (The fishtank is not by it) that could provide some light, but would that be ok? Thank you all for the help :thanks:

Never tried this but the idea just came to me. get a 2 liter bottle and fill it with tank water. put some food inside for the snails and then throw some snails in there and then lay the bottle on the bottom of the tank. hopefully the snails will slowly come out after eating the food and the f8 can pick them off over the course of a week.

Since you have about a month until you leave, you could test it out and see how it works

Leave your lights off. It will just result in algae problems.
Honestly, just feed them a big amount before you go, and you should be fine. Fish can go longer than you think without food.

Definitely leave the light off, it will reduce stress and conserve electricity. Plus, aquarium lights aren't necessary, they're more for aesthetic reasons unless you have plants. I'd put in a bunch before you go and then take off. Like others have said, fish can go a fairly long time without eating. In fact it may help to clear their digestive systems :)

Off topic, but I would love to see pictures of your puffers if you ever get a second. 1x on the leaving the lights off. I would suggest getting a timer though as they are just useful in general along with using it for this.

I believe there is a auto feeder? Maybe u can give ur puffer freez dried krill or worms for this period.

Back
Top Bottom