Leaving for 2 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirtautoguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be gone on an lds mission for 2 years and my mom said she would take care of my tank. She is already not the fondest of the tank but she does have a soft spot for any animals so I think it will be ok. My question is what can I do to help keep it low maintenance for her while I'm gone? I was thinking about adding a couple plants to help keep nitrates Down maybe. Any ideas?

I'm also looking at a under gravel filter are these good to have I don't really understand how they affect the water

You'd have to make it pretty densely planted to really help out a lot. If you decide to, something like wisteria or anarchis is good. Also you could get on of those things that automatically turn on/off the tank lights. I have one and its great. As long as you teach her about water changes, not over feeding, etc, your tank should be fine.

My opinion: do not mess with the live plants while you are gone. Even the hardiest ones, under some circumstances (like someone who doesn't know proper care and maintenance) can be quite a mess.

With the plants, you need more light. With more light, you could produce a nasty algae problem that you mom does not understand (high nitrates = well, you know).

I'd suggest keeping it as simple as possible for her. Create a hard schedule on a calendar for WC's, and be sure she has a method to do so that is easy and quick, with written instructions (sometimes they forget to use the dechlorinator...).

Keep it simple.

CMOS

Why not find a suitable home for the fish then re-start with a new tank when you return? This would be a lot less stress for you and your mother in my opinion.

Last edited:
Low Maintenance Tank

I am going to be gone on an lds mission for 2 years and my mom said she would take care of my tank. She is already not the fondest of the tank but she does have a soft spot for any animals so I think it will be ok. My question is what can I do to help keep it low maintenance for her while I'm gone? I was thinking about adding a couple plants to help keep nitrates Down maybe. Any ideas?

Hello D...

You can use land plants with their roots under the water, to maintain pure water conditions. I keep a 20 gallon tank that needs no water changes or mechanical filtration. The roots of the Aglaonema take in all forms of nitrogen and the fish live in pure water conditions.

You do need to top off the tank with pure, treated tap water a couple of times a week and feed the fish about that often too. The plants do grow quickly and need a bit of trimming, but nothing that would be very time consuming.

B

Thanks for the advice, right now I'm looking at anacharis plants maybe just couple and maybe adding another filter to help too. It's a work in progress and I still have a couple months befor I leave.

On a side note I don't treat my tap water but I live in a place where we literally get our water right out of the mountain so it's not chlorinated or anything should I be using it anyway?

Thanks for the advice, right now I'm looking at anacharis plants maybe just couple and maybe adding another filter to help too. It's a work in progress and I still have a couple months befor I leave.

On a side note I don't treat my tap water but I live in a place where we literally get our water right out of the mountain so it's not chlorinated or anything should I be using it anyway?

Im guessing that if your water source had any problems that you would know about them by now.

If your water is heated, and runs through pipes, it should be treated. Don't get plants, unless you don't care if your mom is going to have to pull them all out and throw them in the garbage. Just keep a low stocking level, and she just has to feed one tiny meal a day, and do biweekly 50% water changes.

Water treatment/conditioner is also good for neutralizing any heavy metals, not just chlorine/chloramines added by municipalities. So it would be good to use Prime water conditioner.

Though a nice person who is sympathetic to your journey may enjoy taking care of your fish tank while you are gone, and thus reduce the stress on your mom who probably has many things to take up her time already...

Well she is retired and doesn't leave the house but maybe 2 times a week if she has to. And honestly I think she has more interest in them then she lets on. Especially when i had first got them she was even looking up fish to put in there! But she claims she doesn't like them lol

bbradubury's method is great, also plants such as anacharis, hornwort, and duckweed can help keep the tank's nitrates in check. However, I would have to agree that tearing down the tanks and re-starting would be best.

An honest heart to heart talk sounds like the best course of action.:flowers:

That is a long time if she thinks the fish are cool but doesn't really want to take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom