Leaving for a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxDriftingAway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 10 gallon tank and I have a betta. I'm leaving from Wednesday or Thursday until Sunday or Monday. Should I get a feeder our well my betta be fine for that amount of time?

Also, I'm leaving for 1 month give or take a week. I'm definitely going to buy a feeder then. The feeders generally only go for 2 weeks though. So what should I do as far as feeding my betta for the last 2 weeks?

I live in the dorms and they are closed so t isn't like I can (or would be willing) to drive 8 hrs back to refill the feeder.

Help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fish can go a reeeeeeeally long time without being fed. Longer than you can imagine. You most definitely don't need a feeder for your first trip, nor do you for the second trip really. You would be far better off throwing some ghost shrimp in there for the betta to snack on over the course of the month.

Just put 1 of the feeders

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feeders are prone to failure. Far more can go wrong from trying to keep the fish fed than not. Besides, the fish tank is not devoid of things for it to eat. And being cold blooded, their caloric requirements aren't at all like ours are.

Maybe at least for the second time away, and the first maybe, give him a little extra food before you leave. Not left in the tank of course, just regular feeding one.

What about water quality during the month? Is the tank cycled?

Maybe at least for the second time away, and the first maybe, give him a little extra food before you leave. Not left in the tank of course, just regular feeding one.

Really good question. If you are driving ... Personally I'd bring the betta home with me if it were a month. Also check of they are going to spray for pests on the break, some dorms do.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Fish can go a reeeeeeeally long time without being fed. Longer than you can imagine. You most definitely don't need a feeder for your first trip, nor do you for the second trip really. You would be far better off throwing some ghost shrimp in there for the betta to snack on over the course of the month.

Interesting... Learn something new everyday.

Just put 1 of the feeders

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe...

Feeders are prone to failure. Far more can go wrong from trying to keep the fish fed than not. Besides, the fish tank is not devoid of things for it to eat. And being cold blooded, their caloric requirements aren't at all like ours are.

True, True.

Yes, I have a filter and I am definitely going to replace it the day I leave AND the day I return for my second trip and I was going to do a 20-30% water change both those days as well.

For the first trip, my filter is due for a replacement before but the first and second trips are only 2-3 weeks away from each other (depending on my finals) so, I'm not sure if I should change it before my first trip or leave it and just change it before my second trip?

Really good question. If you are driving ... Personally I'd bring the betta home with me if it were a month. Also check of they are going to spray for pests on the break, some dorms do.

I was thinking about that as well but I'm worried about keeping her (female betta) in such a small tank. I guess I could but the heat from the 8 hour drive would hurt her and it would be a huge shock for her to drive so long and then see cats and stuff. I just don't want anything to happen with the drive there and the drive back.
For that matter, I could bring her home for both trips.

I didn't even think about that. The fire marshall usually comes during the breaks to make sure nothing will catch on fire while everyone is gone but they do leave electricity on for the foreign exchange students and RA's that have to stay here during their breaks.
Anyway, I don't know about the spraying for pests. Not sure if they do that.

+1 and then some !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Yep, your betta will be fine for a week without food.

I wouldn't leave your fish unattended for a month. If there is nobody around who can stop in for you once in a while to check on things than I agree with the others that you should bring him home.

An eight hour drive is nothing compared with what that Betta went through to get to your pet store. Get a large Tupperware container or something similar. I'd suggest a gallon sized water container with the lid cut off. Fill to about two inches below the top if you go with water container and put some plastic wrap on top. Cats won't bother your Betta just cover the top of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could also just go to an LFS and ask if they will give you a bag. Just make sure you remember that the bag should have more air than water.

Your fish will be fine for a week. As for a month, feeders are a no-no. If you have a pet sitter who has knowledge on aquatic life, then hire them to watch your fish for a month.

I think you're more likely to come home to a dead betta if you leave her than if you bring her with you in the car.

I'm not sure I would bother moving her for the first trip but the longer one for sure you should bring her home with you :) the suggestions above are great for transporting a betta. I would consider even a cup that will fit in the cup holder so the risk of spilling is smaller. Can't be much smaller than what they live in at the pet store. You could set up a temporary tank for her at your home bring her heater and filter along with you in a small bucket to keep the media alive.

Sent from my iPhone

A betta will not die from not being fed for a month. But I agree that if possible the fish should be brought home for that time. It's just a betta - it's not like you have a whole tank full of fish to temporarily house. I would take the whole tank with me. I very much think a cup would be a better transport container, and would go a step further and use an insulated thermos/coffee cup to help maintain water temp. I would drain the tank and place the media from the filter in a container of water. Once you get home you can set it all up and acclimate the fish. It really wouldn't be all that much work - it's just a 10 gallon.

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

A betta will not die from not being fed for a month. But I agree that if possible the fish should be brought home for that time. It's just a betta - it's not like you have a whole tank full of fish to temporarily house. I would take the whole tank with me. I very much think a cup would be a better transport container, and would go a step further and use an insulated thermos/coffee cup to help maintain water temp. I would drain the tank and place the media from the filter in a container of water. Once you get home you can set it all up and acclimate the fish. It really wouldn't be all that much work - it's just a 10 gallon.

I was concerned about water quality after four missed changes.

Agreed +1 to the insulated cup! It has a cover with a small drinking hole too for air!

Sent from my iPhone

Water quality would remain more stable without the fish being fed, especially for a betta in a 10 gallon tank. However, not doing a water change on a cycled tank for a month won't kill the fish either. That's just not how it works. Weekly water changes for a betta in a 10 gallon are really not necessary. Don't get me wrong, it's great to do - changing the water is always good. But there is no way that nitrates could possibly rise high enough in this situation to make any negative impact whatsoever.

Good idea guys! I think I am going to bring her home during the second trip but leave her during the first.

Should I leave the tank and everything on while she isn't in it or is turning everything off okay? Fire marshals may turn it off while I am gone.... Not sure why but I have a bad feeling about them coming lol

Sometimes HOB filters can back siphon the water into the tank leaving the filter dry, when turned off. This typically happens when the water level is low. Were it me I would bring the filter media with me and leave the filter on, but empty.

Sometimes HOB filters can back siphon the water into the tank leaving the filter dry, when turned off. This typically happens when the water level is low. Were it me I would bring the filter media with me and leave the filter on, but empty.

Filter media.... What is that?

I was thinking about bringing some 1ft-2ft container with me when I go back and the cup I got Jill in (my betta) that way she has a bigger tank for when we are home but a small enough one for when we are driving.

Back
Top Bottom