Leaving on an extended vacation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
On Thursday I'll be leaving on a dream vacation to Alaska and the Yukon, I'll be gone for 11 days. I've entrusted my brother to care for my fish and I made a feeding list. He's ensured he'll take care of the feedings, he's 20, and very responsible so no real problem there. I know he will watch over them but I fear that he will forget to feed them. Not because he's lazy, just because he's not really used to doing it and he's very busy. I do have timers for lights. Since early March, I've been feeding my tanks only 3x a week, so they are sort of used to fasting.

On to the topic of water changes, I'm sort of anal about how I do them. Also he's not used to doing these. I did a normal pwc on Saturday. And I plan a 75% change late wed night. Please reassure me that everything will be ok. Thanks.

On Thursday I'll be leaving on a dream vacation to Alaska and the Yukon, I'll be gone for 11 days. I've entrusted my brother to care for my fish and I made a feeding list. He's ensured he'll take care of the feedings, he's 20, and very responsible so no real problem there. I know he will watch over them but I fear that he will forget to feed them. Not because he's lazy, just because he's not really used to doing it and he's very busy. I do have timers for lights. Since early March, I've been feeding my tanks only 3x a week, so they are sort of used to fasting.

On to the topic of water changes, I'm sort of anal about how I do them. Also he's not used to doing these. I did a normal pwc on Saturday. And I plan a 75% change late wed night. Please reassure me that everything will be ok. Thanks.

Hehehehe everything is gonna be just fine... Don't worry about it...

I will pray for your fishy.!!! >.<
Heheh just kidding they are gonna be fine if he promised then he will take care of your babies hehehehe... Make him promise.!!!! Hehehehe that's what I do with my brother and sister when Leave something under their care.. And they do just fine... Hehehe

It may be best to not feed at all if the caretaker isn't used to feeding fish.

There may be a bit of over feeding down to inexperience and with nearly 2 weeks without a water change, that may cause some issues.

I'm not doubting you're brother by any means! Its just ust a heads up is all :)

Agree with Scouser ... I'd say don't worry about feeding. Most fish in this hobby could go a week without eating no problem. 11 days starts to get a bit on the long side, but still doable.

At worst, have him feed them twice while you're gone ... figure every 5 days apart. While I was away on vacation, I put food in those weekly pill cases marking the feeding days and then put away the rest.

You'd definitely want to do a PWC when you get back as there's certain to be a good amount of evaporation.

Agree with Scouser ... I'd say don't worry about feeding. Most fish in this hobby could go a week without eating no problem. 11 days starts to get a bit on the long side, but still doable.

At worst, have him feed them twice while you're gone ... figure every 5 days apart. While I was away on vacation, I put food in those weekly pill cases marking the feeding days and then put away the rest.

You'd definitely want to do a PWC when you get back as there's certain to be a good amount of evaporation.

I'm going to label ziplock baggies with instructions/ food. I'll also hide the rest of the food. But I know that I'm in for an ear-full when I get back for doing this:D normal people don't understand us!

I hope it all goes well for you!

Maybe teach him to test the water every 4 days and send you the results? That way you can tell him to hold of on feeding etc?

I could teach him how to test, but I'll be out of any cell phone range.

Vacation Tank Tending

Hello Tetra...

Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. You can feed just a bit more up until the time you do your large water change and do the change and leave the fish to use up the small fat reserve that most aquarium fish maintain.

The majority of fish keepers tend to feed too much. A fish's stomach is roughly as big as one of their eyes, so it takes next to nothing to fill it. I feed my fish just a little twice weekly. They spend most of their time foraging for leftovers, so they get their exercise and my tanks stay much cleaner.

If your brother misses a few feedings, that's not a big deal. His main job should be to make sure the mechanics of the tank are running properly.

B

If you have a planted tank, then there will probably be something to eat, especially for the smaller fish. They should be fine :D.

Has anyone tried the auto feeders Walmart has one for 12 bucks I was thinking about for my vacation

Put the food for everyday in a day by day medicine container people use. Get two that are a week each and fill em up to how much ypu want him to feed each day.

I'm back! It appears that everyone's accounted for so far. Plants look kinda ragged but I do have new growth in my 10 gallon. Did a quick 50% pwc on both tanks tonight and will be doing another one tomorrow.

Ok, can't find my female ram and kuhli loaches:( now I need to start to move things around. Gggrrrrr!

Back
Top Bottom