LED light for Fluval Chi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have a good replacement for the light that comes with the Fluval Chi? I'm thinking about growing some baby dwarf tear or dwarf hairgrass.

I know a lot of people use a ten inch Finnex fixture such as the Finnex Fugeray for their Fluval Chi's , and I bet their clip on light would be fine too.

Here's an example with the fugeray (not my tank): http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=559130&highlight=fluval+chi

I'm not too sure though if you plan on leaving the top part on. You should be able to find some DIY led upgrade info on TPT.

I heard that fugeray has a par reading of 20 and the fact that it's really dim in person. so I'm not sure if that's a good light

The fugeray is pretty bright to the naked eye. With substrate in I'd imagine the par would be enough to grow HC (assuming you have the proper substrate, ferts, and CO2 all nicely balanced). You could also try a Finnex Planted+ or Ray2, but you'd have to really on it when it comes to the ferts and CO2 or you'd have a major algae farm. BrianNano12g is the best person on this forum to ask about LED lighting, try shooting him a PM.

The fugeray is pretty bright to the naked eye. With substrate in I'd imagine the par would be enough to grow HC (assuming you have the proper substrate, ferts, and CO2 all nicely balanced). You could also try a Finnex Planted+ or Ray2, but you'd have to really on it when it comes to the ferts and CO2 or you'd have a major algae farm. BrianNano12g is the best person on this forum to ask about LED lighting, try shooting him a PM.

but those are longer than what I need, correct?

Ah you're right, you'd need to suspend them. A Fugeray-R would also prob work, or also just a desk lamp with a cfl bulb.

I don't think that light is very suited for plant growth but never used it personally so I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom