LED Lighting for 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chainsaw4130

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29g with a 24" T5 light. The tank is lo tech, no ferts and no CO2. No plans to add either right now. Current plants are Java fern and a four different varieties of anubias. All are growing and look healthy. My main issue with the current light is that the edges are dark and it has to rest on the glass top (I would like to go topless).

I am debating between the Finnex Planted + and the current satellite freshwater +. Both are about the same price.

Any recommendations on these two or any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Brookster123 has both I believe and maybe he will chime in.
For a 29g the Finnex Planted+ is probably in the low light category.
I have the planted+ on a shallower tank with the same footprint (20g long) and CO2 is highly recommended. Or a good dose of Excel/Glutaraldehyde. The PAR reading is around 60 on the 20 long which puts it in the middle of medium light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The sat plus will maintain a very low light tank at that height.. the planted plus will push growth while requiring added attention. A liquid carbon and fertilizers...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I like that the planted + is 30 inches vs the Sat which is 24 inches. Would the planted + work if I reduced the photo period or used something like flourish?

Thanks. I like that the planted + is 30 inches vs the Sat which is 24 inches. Would the planted + work if I reduced the photo period or used something like flourish?

No dark corners with the planted+. The leg mounts hold onto the top securely and you can go topless.
Regarding the reduced photo period and flourish question, I think it *might* work. Idk. I could recommend the Finnex FugeRay 30" for low light in a 29g. Costs about the same or maybe slightly less. I had one in the same 20g long.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What happens if there is to much light?

Would the Satellite + eliminate the dark corners even though the fixture is 24 inches and my tank is 30 inches wide?

No, you'll want a full 30" of leds.. finnex stingray Is always a nice low light option..

Thanks Brookster. Would Stingray be a better light for my tank instead of the planted +?

It'd be less intense, planted plus will require dosing of ferts and liquid carbon along with a decent plant load.

Thanks. Any other recommendations? My main goal is to eliminate the dark corners and have a rim mounting option so I can go topless ?.

The stingray is your light.

Back
Top Bottom