Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LED lights and glo-light tetras

I finally found LED bulbs for my 14 gallon which is just home to 4 (the 5th died) glow light tetras. Up until now, the lights I've been using have been very dull, yellowish lights that got really hot. They came with the aquarium.

I installed the new bulbs and really dig the way they look, but in doing my research whether I need to adjust the amount of hours they are on, I learned these fish actually prefer dim lights and the environment should be on the darker side - ironically the wood that I have in there which casts a brownish hue and I considered replacing, is apparently a helpful way to facilitate this darkness.

Any thoughts whether go back to yellow, dull, depressing-to-me bulbs? I don't mind keeping the wood in there. It has been in there since the tank was cycled and has not affected the ph level with regular water testing.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

By glow light tetras I assume you mean the normal ones, and not the neon Glo Tetras, yes? As long as the surface agitation's not too much, you can use floating plants to help lower the lighting without having to swap the light. If you have a strong HOB filter then this limits the floating plants that will thrive to either floating stem plants or duckweed. If you only have moderate agitation then you can look into Amazon Frogbit or Water Lettuce. Both options have long trailing roots that the tetras can forage in as well.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
By glow light tetras I assume you mean the normal ones, and not the neon Glo Tetras, yes? As long as the surface agitation's not too much, you can use floating plants to help lower the lighting without having to swap the light. If you have a strong HOB filter then this limits the floating plants that will thrive to either floating stem plants or duckweed. If you only have moderate agitation then you can look into Amazon Frogbit or Water Lettuce. Both options have long trailing roots that the tetras can forage in as well.
Yeah, the ones with the red eyes and red stripe through a clear body. I don't have real plants, but can add more plastic plants. I don't trust myself yet with real. I tried in the past and was unsuccessful so I am hesitant to try again until I get more experience.

I have a HOB filter, but the flow isn't super strong. I was actually considering an air stone.

Currently I have the lights off.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add some Indian almond leaves, bright light in stained water looks sweet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Add some Indian almond leaves, bright light in stained water looks sweet!

In addition to the stain fom the wood?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yessem!! Depends solely on your aesthetic values ofcourse. Here's my mild-blackwater apisto with a finnex stingray, water is pretty dark but the leds make it pop.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414448323630.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	254122  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Yessem!! Depends solely on your aesthetic values ofcourse. Here's my mild-blackwater apisto with a finnex stingray, water is pretty dark but the leds make it pop.

Ok, cool. Doesn't look dark to me. Do I need to be concerned about poisoning properties or anything?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviceafter2yea View Post
Yeah, the ones with the red eyes and red stripe through a clear body. I don't have real plants, but can add more plastic plants. I don't trust myself yet with real. I tried in the past and was unsuccessful so I am hesitant to try again until I get more experience.

I have a HOB filter, but the flow isn't super strong. I was actually considering an air stone.

Currently I have the lights off.
Most floating plants are some of the easiest kinds of real plants you can try Hornwort is especially hardy, inexpensive, and a great nitrate sponge. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Adding regular plastic plants likely won't give you the dimmer lighting you're looking for, since you need something helping to block the light from above. Plastic floating plants seem to be few and far between. If you don't want to go the floating plants or stained water look you can also look into light diffusers. Home depot usually sells some in thin sheets that you can use to lower the amount of direct light coming in from the LED lights.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviceafter2yea View Post
Ok, cool. Doesn't look dark to me. Do I need to be concerned about poisoning properties or anything?
Not that I know of, ordered from amazon and a quick rinse before they go in..1 8" leaf for my 10 gal, replaced every 2 weeks.

Tags
led, light, lights, tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com