LED VS. Fluorescent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathey6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am setting up a 55 gallon aquarium with a few live plants and I wanted to know if you would recommend the single or double bright led system from Marineland (the 48" model or 2 24" models") or a good fluorescent set-up. Somewhere on this website, I found a chart of lights like the T5 and T8 and stuff like that and if you know where that is, can you please tell me? Thanks!

Last edited:
So the choices are: 1 big single bright, 2 medium single brights, 1 big double bright, 2 medium double brights, 1 medium single and one medium double bright, or 1 medium fluorescent and 1 medium single bright, or 1 medium fluorescent and 1 medium double bright, OR 1 big fluorescent. Thanks!

I just got off the phone with a planet tank designer - he does NOT suggest LEDs yet for high power lighting. He suggested to me the Hagen Aqua Glo double bulb T5 system. Have to buy the bulbs separate.

BTW - He was awesome. I'm working on a 72 gal bow front and know nothing about plants. So I'm certainly going to use him for my plant design with all the help he gave me.

Aquarium plants, and aquascape plant packages

Somewhere on this website, I found a chart of lights like the T5 and T8 and stuff like that and if you know where that is, can you please tell me? Thanks!

I know the chart you mean. I don't know where to find it. T8's are low light whether you have one or three. T5's can go from low to medium depending on whether you have one, two, or three and how far from the top of the tank it is. I dont' think they reach high--if they do, it's at 3 lights close to the hood or on it. T5HOs are almost exclusively medium to high at one or two anywhere from on the top of the tank to six inches above, and if you have 3 lights, you go from high to too high wherever you place it. I think I remembered that basic summary right.

I had no luck growing anything with a Marineland LED. The plants survived (barely) but never grew. Ill try to post a link for the chart but im not sure if it will work. If not, check in the PlantedTank Forum under lighting- the charts are stickies.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss176/Hoppycalif/LightIntensityTable.jpeg

edit- sorry, this link didnt work! Ill try to find another way to link it!

Ok Thanks, I think I'll stick with fluorescent until LEDs get better with plants.

What is a good color temperature for plants? I found a T5HO that is 6,700K is this good? Or is 10,000K T5HO better? Or is a "Colormax" T5HO better? OR a T5HO Actinic? Or a mix of them? I will have two fixtures, two bulbs each, so I can have up to four different bulbs.

Last edited:
LEDs can be fine for plants as long as you get the right type. The MarineLand single and double brights are mediocre at best, you might have luck with the reef capable ones. If you want to do it right you will be looking at the setups that have three watt LEDs in them. You can buy premade systems or build them yourself. Either way it will cost a lot initially but will save you in the long run as energy cost is lower and there is no bulb replacement every year or so.

I think I will wait until LEDs get cheaper and better, because I can't spend $1000+ on just lighting, but thanks for your suggestion.

What is a good color temperature for plants? I found a T5HO that is 6,700K is this good? Or is 10,000K T5HO better? Or is a "Colormax" T5HO better? OR a T5HO Actinic? Or a mix of them? I will have two fixtures, two bulbs each, so I can have up to four different bulbs.

Im not an expert on lights but the T5HO 67k lights are supposed to be the best for growing plants. The 10k & actinic lights are nice for aesthetics but have less of a usable spectrum of light for fw plants.

I try to aim for near 6500K. I have LEDs on one tank, but it's only a 10g :)

Just remember don't get into High light unless you plan to inject CO2. Otherwise you'll just grow an Algae Farm !!!

I'm a low light fan.

Back
Top Bottom