Leeches!!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup I got 1/40 of a teaspoon or 1.25ml... and oh-my-gosh I cannot believe this is happening again. :(

Yup I got 1/40 of a teaspoon or 1.25ml... and oh-my-gosh I cannot believe this is happening again. :(

Ok, just so I am clear, 1/40th of a teaspoon? I dont own a mg scale- how should I go about measuring this? The smallest measuring spoon I have is 1/4 of teaspoon. :confused:

1mg per litre is 1ppm so you want .25mg per litre.
.25 x 208 (280L = 55gallons) = 52mg
Yes, yours is definitely a more accurate calculation, but how is she going to measure 52 mg? Metric is the best, but without such a scale, I don't see how she can make the measurement.

I also don't see how siva arrived at 1/40 of a teaspoon. She gave some calculation in ml here as well (1.25 ml) but we're talking about dry measure here, not liquid.

Here's another idea...maybe you can take the stuff to your local pharmacist...they should be able to measure out 52mg for you!

Reactions: jlk
Wouldn't copper sulfate be an effective treatment of leeches?

IMO If you wanna play it safe I would start the tank over. I would scrap my filter and gravel and any decor that could harbor them.

That way you would avoid having to use unfamiliar chemical and poison treatments. In the meantime maybe you can set up a small decor free QT for your 2 charges and monitor them until their new home is up and running.

I dont think copper sulfate will kill them except maybe in huge doses- same as the potassium permagnate. Salt is the same scenario- you need a huge amount to kill them & this tank is fairly well planted so this isnt an option. Something called malathion was suggested as well on my goldie site (similiar tiny dosage). I guess I have to see what I can find today! Obviously, the % strength of the active chemical is going to affect the dose here, too. Thanks everyone!!! :)

IMO If you wanna play it safe I would start the tank over. I would scrap my filter and gravel and any decor that could harbor them.

That way you would avoid having to use unfamiliar chemical and poison treatments. In the meantime maybe you can set up a small decor free QT for your 2 charges and monitor them until their new home is up and running.

I did this once already & cant afford to do it again! I can play musical fish & move everyone around again but unfortunately poison is really my only option here. :(

I've read both of your threads, and am sorry to hear about your predicament.

There's two possible permanent options for you.

1) Turn the tank into a saltwater tank.

2) Turn the tank into a brackish tank.

If they hate salt, that could finish them off for good. They can wait a while for conditions to improve to hatch, but if it's permanently salty, they may never hatch.

Thanks, James! My husband suggested switching to saltwater but this realistically isnt an option here! Unless, of course, I get another tank.... :)

Ok, what fish would eat leeches (before leeches eat them) that are compatible with goldfish & can manage in a cool water tank (stays @72 year round)?

Back
Top Bottom