Left 3 days.. And they all gave birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!
I started breeding guppies just for the experience a while ago.. I decided to take it seriously to see if it would be difficult, I found out it was. I left for 3 days to come back to no longer pregnant guppies (3).. I was so disappointed, what should I do ? I mean I have a tank all set up for them! I have some plant at the top of my tank that the fry hide in (I didn't think of it once and was cleaning and moved it around, lost 5 fry instantly) . What should I do ? How to check the gravel ? Let them be ? I have dwarf gouramis and they are a good snack.. Any way to transfer them now ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391394821.459772.jpg
Also
I have never tried to breed my platies, they were just pregnant, then not anymore.. I had 1 fry survive long enough for me to spot him (little orange thing) and isolate him.. I have one that I believe is about to pop, so I would like to focus on her, how far along would she be ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391394888.396908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391394907.411319.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391394931.219562.jpg
Any help would be appreciated, especially for my poor fry that are about to become snacks :(
Also, is it just me or when you try to take a picture of your whole tank they all hide, when you try to take one they all show up..

One thing that helps greatly is to get one of those plastic breeder boxes. They usually have a V shaped insert that has a hole at the bottom of the V that's just large enough for the fry to drop through once they're born. Put momma in there right when you think she's just about to pop, then once they're born you can put momma back into the rest of the tank and transfer the babies from the breeder box to the tank you have set up.

If you have floating plants, stick those into the breeder box too, as they'll help calm down momma after transferring her to the box and make her feel less exposed.

Back
Top Bottom