Legal? Illegal? Am I a felon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

waynephinney

Well, now that I have your attention. :twisted:

Anyhow, Maine has some strict laws about non-native lifeforms, and on top of that, in recent history they started a law that says if you turn someone in for something, you get 10% of the fine. It's their way of getting more people fined and bringing more money to the state.

Now, it's illegal to sell freshwater snails in Maine. I did a little Googling and found nothing about it being illegal to own them. I'm also told by the owner of my local pet store that the reason they only have hermit crabs is that the aquatic crabs are illegal to sell in Maine. I asked if they were illegal to own them, and he said he wasn't certain.

Is there a good resource out there somewhere that lists what is illegal to sell in certain states and what is illegal to own outright? For instance, I know that it's illegal to have pirahnas in Maine.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Then I could do my best to avoid breaking the law unintentionally, or if it's the case of me REALLY wanting something, I'll just have to be discreet about the whole thing.

My first thought is to call a county extension office. They usually have lists of plants, animals, etc taht are illegal to keep, etc.

The police won't be much help I think, but possibly. It won't hurt to call em or head down to the city govt. building.

Is there an internet resource available? Some kind of official listing? I'd rather not call and bother someone, and I can use the internet pretty freely at work, but making personal calls is recommended to be limited.

Back
Top Bottom