Legality of Selling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Just a quick question, out of interest is it illegal to sell fish without a licence anywhere in the world except for where I live!? :banghead:

I'm not talking about commercial quantities of fishes, anything from goldfish babies to discus is not allowed.

I dont know exactly if its 'illegal'...I imagine it would depend on the specific countries regulations in respect to the import/export of live fish. Customs officials would confiscate & destroy any live animal that it is not shipped according to the legal stipulations of the specific countries involved. What would happen legally, I do not know the answer but I imagine fines/other ramifications are a very good possibility. I would stick to your native country if you have any plans to ship fish. :)

I dont know exactly if its 'illegal'...I imagine it would depend on the specific countries regulations in respect to the import/export of live fish. Customs officials would confiscate & destroy any live animal that it is not shipped according to the legal stipulations of the specific countries involved. What would happen legally, I do not know the answer but I imagine fines/other ramifications are a very good possibility. I would stick to your native country if you have any plans to ship fish. :)

Haha you misunderstand!

I'm currently raging because it is illegal for me to sell a fish I own to my next door neighbour, regardless of breed/species for example, and I just wondered if there was anywhere else in the world with such a stupid law :ermm:.

It is called a Gift.....and your neighbor loaned you some money....:whistle:

I'd sell it anyways lol I don't think the neighbor would really care either I mean who's gonna find out? Lol

It is called a Gift.....and your neighbor loaned you some money....:whistle:

Hahaha yeah that's the plan!

The problem is I have other fish like foot long Oscars I wanted to sell to recoup the cost of a tank I purchased. As I can't legally advertise them it makes it very hard to sell :(

Cynic said:
Hahaha yeah that's the plan!

The problem is I have other fish like foot long Oscars I wanted to sell to recoup the cost of a tank I purchased. As I can't legally advertise them it makes it very hard to sell :(

Idk exactly how strict that is I see posts on craigslist of people selling live fish all the time

Ah Ha...it was either Canada or Australia would have been my guess.

I've seen people sell a pencil, for example, for the price you want to sell the Oscar, and throw in a free Oscar with the pencil purchase :) There, you didn't sell the fish!

Better off just calling it a gift. You can give a gift anywhere up to a certain amount. Like when you go to the bank and deposit 10 grand. It needs to be reported BUT of its a gift. That's another story. So I'm told...

Convict2161 said:
Better off just calling it a gift. You can give a gift anywhere up to a certain amount. Like when you go to the bank and deposit 10 grand. It needs to be reported BUT of its a gift. That's another story. So I'm told...

+1 :):)

I've seen people sell a pencil, for example, for the price you want to sell the Oscar, and throw in a free Oscar with the pencil purchase :) There, you didn't sell the fish!

Re-home fee?

Was just gonna say adoption fee :)

All good ideas but I've just decided to give them away, the risk of the potential fine seems like too much of a worry in comparison to however much a few big oscars will get me (Plus I sold some before they got back to me :whistle:).

But just to confirm no-one has heard of anything like this anywhere else in the world? :blink:

Back
Top Bottom