Leopard Frog Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just saw a photo of a leopard frog pleco, a sweet looking pleco! Has anyone had any experience with this fish? Planet catfish said that it gets to about 4.5 in, and is omnivorous, leaning towards carnivorus. I have been thinking of getting a pleco for awhile, but I need one that stays fairly small, and would be okay in a tank with neon tetras and cory cats. Any suggestions?

I have one, I believe there is a pic in my gallery. They are pretty reclusive like most plecos and aren't great algae eaters. Mine loves shrimp pellets and blackworms but he also loved flake food. Not a hard pleco to keep and one of my favorites.

I have 5 of these guys. They actually eat quite a bit of algae at least while they are little. Most of mine are somewhat bold coming out in daylight to eat shrimp pellets or algae wafers. They eat anything really. The 2 in the tank with more traffic around it don't come out as often but are still seen 2 or 3 times daily. Everyone loves them both for their color and their little size that makes them kinda cute. I have found them a bit prone to ich compared to my other plecos and bottom feeders but they seem to recover from it on their own.

I agree mine will come out to eat if I'm not near the tank, but the rest of the time it hangs out under a piece of lace rock. And it will shot right back to that spot if I go near the tank. Mine is in a SA puffer tank and cleans up what the puffers let fall to the bottom. But, will ignore an algae wafer. I've had it for about two years and it was an adult when I got it. Perhaps that's why it ignores the algae wafers.

Just curious, did you guys find them at your lfs? I know mine doesn't carry them, but I could see about a special order. I have seen them online for around 25 dollars, is this an expected price. I have absolutely no idea.

TIA!

I originally got 6 from another pleco fanatic but for some reason 1 never acclimated to my tank. He faded worse than the others on the trip home and never regained his color. Even though my water is nearly the exact same as the guy I got them from the pleco died the next day. The remaining five 1" fish I added to my 55g but after 6months or so they started arguing so I split them up. Things seem fine now with 2 in a 29g and 3 in a 55g. They don't bother any fish that doesn't bother them first, but they will defend themselves if needed. The 3 in the 55g are also in with panda cory and habrosus without problems but when the ever curous sparkling gouramis come around the plecos will charge them. So far none of their charges have ended in injury or even connected with the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom