Lepord Sailfin Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i just picked up Lepord Sailfin Pleco, hes a great looking lil fellow. Poops alot, but cool to watch. Only problem is, i didn't really look at him when i bought him. Yaaa...he's only got one eye...oops. I believe it was born that way cause it's just flat over the area where there should be an eye. I hope he will be ok. Figured i share my funny story with everyone.

Great fish if your tank is at least 180 gallons, they grow into monsters if they aren't stunted by small tanks and improper care.

And they grow reeeeally fast. If you don't have a huge tank I would take him back :(

He's a little guy right now, barley 3 inches long. I am moving into a new home soon and will have a bigger set up there. 150 gallons, I hope that will be enough, i know it's not 180. But I had to budget for everything else. How fast will he actually grow? I know they can get to be over a food in length.

They typically reach 8" within 12 months, so even a grow out tank for it needs to be quite large....and by adult atleast 18-20". At that size, the things are literally poop machines. I wouldn't keep one in anytning smaller than 250 gals.

I did the same thing with one of daughters mollies. She wanted a a brighter one to add some color to her tank. I came home with a orange and black lyretail beautiful molly, my daughters checking her out as were aclimating her and screeches, "mom shes missing an eye"

Sure enough she is, my daughter now calls the beautiful orange fish I baught to help her brighten up her tank GILDA!!! She said a fish that creepy looking needed a creepy name, LOL

Back
Top Bottom