Leppard Danio's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering cause i don't know much about fish. Do danios bare live baby's or do they lay eggs? Also, how do you tell the sexes. I guess i should probly get a book or something that explains all this stuff but its much easier to post on here.

Leopard danios lay eggs, and I'm not sure how you sex them, but I dont think its easy. I'm sure you could find articles on breeding them on google, I'm sure they breed the same way as zebra danios.

I have some leopard danios and the females are larger and usually have big round bellies from eggs. The males are smaller have a little more yellow or gold tint to them. I'm not sure but I think leopard danios are just a variant of zebra danios. Hope this helps.

savga said:
I'm not sure but I think leopard danios are just a variant of zebra danios. Hope this helps.

This is correct. Leopard danios and zebra danios are color variations of each other. You may be finding it hard to find information about leopard danios...if this is the case, just look under zebra danios.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe danios can be sexed like mollies or platys- the anal fin (the last bottom fin towards the tail) on females is rounded and the anal fin on males is more pointed. Correct me if I'm wrong. :?

Zebra Danio Mating

How old do Zebra danios have to be before they'll mate? Do you have to feed them brine shrimp to make them mate? All ours look like the same sex, it's hard to tell what they are. But we just got them a week ago from the LFS so I'm assuming they're babies and too young to mate?

Back
Top Bottom