Lesson learned...take nothing for granted *Update*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, after a lot of soul searching, doubts and agnst...I concluded that I would never know what was the cause of my recent fish losses and the reason why my ph was swinging out of control.

I figured I might as well give the tank a good cleaning as a final shot (it was due this weekend anyway)...if it didn't work, I was going to tear it down. :(

Took the HOB off to give it a good rinsing...took the sponge out to rinse that as well and what did I find under the sponge and embedded in the grating? Dead ramshorns...a ton of them.

Where they it come from? I remembered that when I got my first plants...the ramshorns that are in my 75 gal...my niece had accidentally dropped what was then thought to be one snail in the 30 gal. It was removed and I didn't give it another thought.

Obviously, one wasn't the only one.

I had asked questions about the ph in this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53400&highlight=

So, everyone's opinions in that thread were correct...yes, I did add something to the tank...yes, something had died in the tank recently and yes, snails were the cause.

I would never had guessed at this one.

Tank has been reclaimed and hopefully, it will return to it's once pristine look and habitat.

Oh my!! I'm glad you found the cause and hopefully, the tank will be back to its wonderful self soon.

I am fighting snails in my tank too Jc. Every time I open up the filter I find teeny baby snails. I have been picking the adults out of the tank as I see them, and I haven't seen any recently. I am really starting to dislike these little buggers.
I'm glad you found the cause of your problem :D

I can also relate, snails are annoying in a tank. I too pick out the adults and keep a close eye on the babies. I am so glad that humans don't reproduce like that.

Congrats on finding the problem and good luck getting your tank back to it's previous state!

I'm glad you found the cause of your troubles. Amazing what a few decomposing snails can do to the water parameters!

LOL...I'm going to have to find a way to stop freaking my wife out regarding this hobby. She is amazed that I recover quickly from these issues, which is a plus I guess. But when it comes to having the issues I've had...she sometimes thinks I lost my marbles.

I'm gonna let the tank settle for awhile before I consider adding anything to it. What is truly amazing to me is...the tetras (all four of them) have handled this problem with aplomb as well as the other issues (ick, nitrate poisoning). If anyone asks the question: "Are skirted tetras hardy?" The answer is: "You'd better believe it!"

Update: Tested the water in the tank...still rocking at 7.4. I am truly amazed and gratified that the cause was found and now the tank can get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom