Lethargic Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all...
We have a live bearer tank 20g with 9 fish in it right now. We have a dalamation molly who, from the beginning, looked as though she may be having some sort of balance issues. I thought it may have been my imagination because she seemed fine most times and no one else seemed to really notice. In hindsight, I should have payed better attention.
Anyway, about a week after getting her we got a case of ich. We've been treating it the chem way (should have done my research here first---also we now know about QT!!! We're researching, learning, and trying hard not to repeat the same mistakes). Anyway, all fish seem to be recovering quite well except this one molly. She is lethargic now and can't seem to keep herself afloat. It's like what I first saw but much worse. There are times where she just lies on the gravel.
Would this have something to do with the ich? Could she have been the fish to bring it in to the environment? If not ich, does anything else come to mind for this particular fish? I don't want to lose this fish but, more importantly, I don't want this to spread to our other guys if this is not ich.
Thanks again for the help. So glad we have found this site and I have had a chance to go further into it now and do more research.

Im having a similar issue with both my mollies, so Im going to follow along.

I have not had any ich (yet), but I have had one molly death (reason undetermined) and as I mentioned my other two mollies are behaving the way the OP's are. I have only had them a couple weeks and the other fish in my tank are behaving normally.

Water parameters are good and I do a 25% PWC every week.

Yes, follow on, please. Just did a quick check. She's lying on the gravel. No fin movement at all now but still straight up on the gravel. Don't think she'll make it through tonight...

Ahhh... she's dead. I'd still be interested in hearing what this could have been and if anyone can help Coyne...

Yes, follow on, please. Just did a quick check. She's lying on the gravel. No fin movement at all now but still straight up on the gravel. Don't think she'll make it through tonight...

if thats the case i would euthanize it, this is just my opinion on what i would do, i only do this when i can clearly see they are struggling, or are not able to move away from the gravel.

Clove oil is the best way, but i never have any so i usually wrap them in a paper towl, and smash the head, not pretty, but its quick

well i say usually but have only had to do this twice with some dwarf gouramis

edit, just saw your second post.

the cause could have been that mollys do much better in slightly brackwish water conditions, without it they dont really thrive, however i dont recommend adding salt to the aquarium unless all inhabitants prefer it. though there is always debate on that, i prefer my fish to thrive and be happy. Not adapt to whatever i think is best for them when its not something they would experience in the wild.

Last edited:
if thats the case i would euthanize it, this is just my opinion on what i would do, i only do this when i can clearly see they are struggling, or are not able to move away from the gravel.

Clove oil is the best way, but i never have any so i usually wrap them in a paper towl, and smash the head, not pretty, but its quick

well i say usually but have only had to do this twice with some dwarf gouramis

Thanks for the input. She died just moments ago so an thankful I didn't have to do anything further.
Clove oil... off topic but I have heard this can be used to sterilize fish in live bearer tanks. Any truth to that would you know? I am not sure I'd ever do something like that but that message I read on a board just kinda stood out for me and now here the mention of clove oil again as it pertains to fish...

Thanks again, armymp327. I'll keep that in mind with stocking moving forward as we currently do not have a brackish tank. Good to know.

i dont keep mollys, thats just what ive read and i could be wrong. however you are welcome.

ive never heard of clove oil sterilizing live bearers, though that is interesting and will have to do some research as i have 50+ platy fry right now.

i have heard of it being used to "knock out" fish for various things, usually to be dipped in medicated baths. though it can be overdosed to put the fish to sleep permanently, so its considered a painless humane way to euthanize fish

I don't even remember where I came across it except to say it was on a board somewhere I read awhile back when learning about live bearer tanks and pop'n control. Someone from the UK said they use a few drops of clove oil to sterilize them all. I haven't seen anything more in google searches but now see there's a lot on euthanasia. That's great to know, too, in the case we have to face this again...

Back
Top Bottom