Lets Talk Rainbow Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rush81

Aquarium Advice Regular
So! I have decided that here in about a week or two I am going out for some rainbows.
here are the ones I am interested in:
Bosemani's
Red Irian
Axelrodi
Parkinson's
Forktail's
Madagascan
Australian
Any one have and experience or advice about them? I've done some of my own reshearch and I know that they should all fit with in my current p.h. range of 7.4
I like the emeralds too but have had problems finding much info on them.....

I have kept Boses and Axelrods, both great fish. they like to be in groups and are quite active. The males when they mature are a sight to see as they spar with each other.

I've heard bad things about australians, but none others. I have a big mix in my tank. My favorite has to be Milleniums (see picture of one of mine below). I know I have a pair of them, and parkisoni's... the rest, I have no clue on the sex (30 rainbows all together I think). They're amazing fish with bright colors and a huge appetite.

Millenium:
img_1446372_0_5741f74c69fe7c2639372d36dffa4f3f.jpg

I have some Melanotaenia splendida ( I call them Banded but that might not be right) and some Lake Kutubu/Turquoise/Blue. They are lovely fish. The Kutubus are really colourful (I'm convinced I have 2 pairs but it's quite hard to tell) and the "banded"s look amazing when they display. Both are peaceful and don't bother anything else in the tank. I luuuuurve them :D

OKay so I'm really excited my sister just surprised me with 3 emerald rainbows they arent as bright and pretty as some of the others but they are very nice looking. I dont normally like other ppl picking out my fish but she had good intentions so im crossing my finger that they werent from a sick tank. so far they look really healthy. I'm having trouble figering out sex thought lol they are all equally pretty so does that make them all male or female. lol I will try and post a picture to my profile im not sure how to get pictures on here or I would any suggestions other then males are brighter then females thats not working out so hot for me at this time. I'm also concerned because I just read this article that Lake wanam rainbows are on the critically endangered list wth?! How is the fish store selling endangered species. should i keep them ? am I wrong in having them idk what to do

Do they look like these?

img_1452400_0_23332ebb34954d8c000c6b77209001ab.jpg
The one just above your plant up front lookalot like mine from that distance. After looking at them for a while I think i may have 2 males 1 female unless that one is just younger. it looks younger, fins arent as long and a bit smaller over all ... anyhow is that a emerald rainbow in your tank? just curious

So i got 3 bosemani/2 Australians/2 Turqoise Rainbows I'm so excited! They are doing great and everyone seems happy. oh and 3 emeralds ive had for a week or two now.My 75fw looks beautiful with them in there. They were selling them for super cheap i was shocked the Australians were 2.38/fish and the turqoise were 5.98/fish now the bosemani's were a little more but i got them somewhere else at 10.68/fish well worth it i think. anyhow just wanted to share with you all.

The mollies are gone I gave them to my sister lol I loved them but they just kept causing me trouble and she her boyfriend loves mollies so I felt good handing them over

What size tank? There are bows that range from 2-8"... All cool IMO, but varied.

lol yea i google alot i just like everyones 2 cents on here too. i have a 75fw ph 7.4 temp 77 A-0 and n02 and03 are currently 0 as well I do weekly 50%ish wpc ummmm i think thats everything lol :) Thanks I'm happy with them I like varied size in my tank. I'm going to slowly try and add real plants they just scare me I have never had live plants before. However I would love to get as close to thier naturalsetup as i can and of cousre it looks cooler too

I'm considering some java fern. I've read its pretty sturdy and doesnt need me to do much but put it in the gravel. Idk yay nay?

Blue-eyed forktails have proven to be very playful and happiest in an imbalanced group of 6 or more; I have two males and four females.

dang it how do you put pictures on here? What am I doing wrong?

Back
Top Bottom