Leveling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterp

Aquarium Advice Freak
ran into a bit of a problem :roll: as usual.

How to level a 100 gal when the floor is not level and uneven.
With my 33 & 55 I just used shims under the wood stand, but I suspect a 100 will push anything I try use as shims into the floor.

What I get for living in an old house. :lol:

You don't say how uneven it will be, if you have to put shims underneath and the weight of the tank might push them down.
What you need to do is spread the weight evenly, so instead of putting little pieces of wood in to level up try and put a strip of wood to even out the weight.

I am not an expert on this subject HTH you to make a choice. Someone will tell you what to do soon i bet.

Use cedar shingles. They make great shims and are fairly cheap... Put the shim under the stand to level, and then start filling... as the tank fills, check the level and make adjustments as needed until you cant hammer them in.. Then use a carpet knife or something sharp and cut and snap them off. Your tank will be level... :mrgreen:

Thanks, that is what I basically did for the 55, was not sure it would work at 2x the weight. I found some of those cedar shingles at HomeDepot, I guess I'll find out soon enough. :D

Glad I went to the LFS to remeasure before building, I had thought the tank was 60l*18h*24w it is actually 60.25l*24h*18.25w at the plastic base (I successfully had the hight and width backwards) :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom