LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at a local LFS about a week ago, and was kind of shocked by what happened. Granted, I know from my previous experience that LFS seem not to care too much about informing new fish owners of the cycling process, but this still baffled me. A woman came and in, and started looking at the cichlids. The LFS owner I'm guesing came over and asked if she wanted help. She said she needed fish because some of hers had just died. She said 4 died of the original 8 and she wanted to buy new fish. The LFS owner asked how long her tank had been set up, and she said "just today". He, thankfully, told her not to put the cichlid in as it would "take care of the other fish" for her, but all he told her was to wait 24 hours before adding more fish! I was completely astonished. NO mention of why or anything. The woman added that "she bought some of that stuff in a bottle to add to start the tank", and he nodded and said, just wait 24 hours to add more fish! I just don't understand why people at LFS can't MENTION the cycling process?

At my LFS there are two workers. One a woman and the oher a man. WHen I buy fish from the man. he won' tell me anything about them and only tells me that i shouldn't have bought the fish after it already died. The woman however gives me much info and advice when buying fish. However, the man gives me discounts on the equipment and accessories so if i buy equipment I go to LFS on Sunday cuz the man is there and if i buy fish i go on saturdays when the woman is there.

I was astonished when the guy at my lfs was helping another customer set up a 55, and explained about the cycling process, and recommended a waiting period of two months. I gained a whole new respect for them.

Back
Top Bottom