Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

LFS and Chain Store Horrors

So I've been shopping fish supplies a lot lately to get a new tank up and running. Today I was at a Petsmart with my dad. Then I looked down the aisle and saw on the floor in front of the tanks a fish flopping on the floor. I was horrified and wanted to just pick the poor thing up and toss him in a tank but I didn't know where he had come from.

Of course there were no employees to be found. So I went up to a cashier and told her a fish had 'escaped,' and was flopping on the floor. She seemed scared and got someone rather quickly. We went back to where the poor fish was and my dad was walking back at the same moment. He said, "Oh look, there's another one now!"

Sure enough, there were two fish flopping on the floor at that point. The man got a net and picked them both up carefully. He seemed genuinely concerned as he said, "Oh, I don't know if that one's going to make it." I'm just glad I saw the poor fish when I did. I don't know how long it had been there on the floor.

I also heard recently that at a lfs, a fish got dropped, and they kicked it off away! They won't be getting my business.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sad to say, but allot of people see fish as a "lesser being". They forget or don't want to believe that fish feel pain like any other living creature on earth. Most people invest allot money and time into building the "perfect aquarium" to their liking but never consider what the fish actually need. Just like these clowns at the lfs. They dose there fish in quick cure chemicals and expect the fish to not jump out. Depressing isn't it.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Makes me glad to know my lfs has quarantine tanks in the back of the shop and that everything is monitored. I guess working there for awhile makes me comfortable buying from them even though they are a chain store
Old 04-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
I saw a lfs freezing gold fishes. I'm not sure if that's normal.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar
I saw a lfs freezing gold fishes. I'm not sure if that's normal.
Someone on this forum once said freezing fish is "humane euthanasia", you be the judge on that. Mabye that was why they were doing it?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Walmart here keeps tiny sickly green spotted puffers with African cichlids. No wonder every fish in that little 3 gallon cubicle is beat to pieces...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
Walmart here keeps tiny sickly green spotted puffers with African cichlids. No wonder every fish in that little 3 gallon cubicle is beat to pieces...
That must look bad , I have not seen fish in a walmart in years but I remember how bad it used to look
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
Dido here in NV.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My last store horror was at my local petland that I almost always buy my fish from. The tank of kissing gouramies was infected with ich and fin rot. Some of them did t even have tail left it was horrendous. The manager said they got them that way from their supplier. I was surprised though it was the first time that I saw sick fish there in Over 6 months. There tanks are always clean and there fish are almost always healthy.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which petland was that in Winnipeg? Regent or portage place?

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com