LFS knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone's situation is a bit different. Of course saying 'get a different' job is as easy as we all wish it was, but it's not always so.

Plus, speaking from experience, some people never realize how serious and technical fish keeping really is. It's overall lack of knowledge in the hobby and also why most vet clinics don't have anyone who treat fish specifically. You'd think they would, but people outside the hobby just don't think much of fish.

There is another take on this. Using the example I do frequently, ( I overheard a sale's clerk telling a new hobbyist that good first fish for their 10 gal tank was some neons, Guppies and a small Oscar) I discretely spoke with both the new hobbyist( who thankfully didn't get any fish that day) and got the clerk to the side and explained her error. The clerk said she appreciated my information and was going back to studying the guide books she was given by the store as she was still very new to fish keeping as well as new to the store.
To me, the fun part is teaching people about proper fish keeping ( as I know it) and my experiences doing it. No superiority issue at play, just sharing the knowledge. (y)

This I completely agree with. I have taught people at LFS a few things and they have taught me. We can't know everything about every fish. But I don't get the people that have admittedly on this thread and others enjoy "grilling" employees until they get something wrong. Makes us hobbiests look like jerks IMO.

There is another take on this. Using the example I do frequently, ( I overheard a sale's clerk telling a new hobbyist that good first fish for their 10 gal tank was some neons, Guppies and a small Oscar) I discretely spoke with both the new hobbyist( who thankfully didn't get any fish that day) and got the clerk to the side and explained her error. The clerk said she appreciated my information and was going back to studying the guide books she was given by the store as she was still very new to fish keeping as well as new to the store.
To me, the fun part is teaching people about proper fish keeping ( as I know it) and my experiences doing it. No superiority issue at play, just sharing the knowledge. (y)

Thank you for answering in an eloquent manner Andy, that was my point exactly.

This I completely agree with. I have taught people at LFS a few things and they have taught me. We can't know everything about every fish. But I don't get the people that have admittedly on this thread and others enjoy "grilling" employees until they get something wrong. Makes us hobbiests look like jerks IMO.

Apparently sarcasm escapes you.

I feel like anyone who is passionate about the hobby and wants to pursue it as a career would avoid working at big box stores and seek out a specialty shop.. I've literally never heard anything useful from chain employees. Had to tell one dude that the current sat plus didn't actually make storm noises.. wait..actually a woman at the register stopped mid transaction to tell me that you don't replace biomax, i was shocked.. she was right!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for answering in an eloquent manner Andy, that was my point exactly.

N.P. I just thought it needed to be said.(y)

Apparently sarcasm escapes you.

That's how I took it even without the emoticons. :brows:;):lol:(y) However, having been on the retail level and dealt with customers who have thought themselves to be the fishkeeping Gods of the world, I can see how your comment could be misunderstood. There are all types in the fish hobby for sure and in today's hobby, there seems to be more "legends in their own minds" due to the easy access of the internet vs experience. But then again, if it's on the internet, it must be true. Right? :confused: :ROFLMAO: ( Sorry, this subject touches a chord with me. :s )

finding people who are extremely knowledgable about fish keeping to work at these stores for minimum wage I'm sure is challenging. I've talked to several employees at the chain stores who get put in fish department as they wait for spot to open in dog / cat area.

Feel bad for them, they have to learn on the fly.

I tend to ask leading questions, if I don't get the answer I'm looking for i promptly drop the subject and thank the employee for their time. I've been in situations before where I've tried to discuss things with certain employees and they can become quiet defensive if they feel intimidated. I don't know all aspects of the hobby. I try to study fish and fish types and plants etc as much as I can but ultimately you learn much faster when you work in that environment so I do ask for a little bit of knowledge of the employee (following or before I conduct my own research) which I feel is very important.

I went in to a private store and asked a young lad if he could sex me a blue acara, he replied 'not at that size they are too small' correct answer even though I didn't know at the time. As a much older employee passed by the young assistant asked him 'can you sex these blue acara' to which he stood back, laughed and replied 'of course I can' he netted two and gave them to me. I had to return them and I won't go in there anymore The pets at home near me is a good place but you have to go to the right person. The others always call him over if they can't answer a question. Some of my best fish have come from there.

I think the knowledge vary's somewhat. Some give you fuller and more accurate answers the more they get to know you.

It's when an LFS purposely gives bogus information knowing that the fish are at risk that really gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Even the most incompetent employee has a 50% chance of sexing a fish correctly :D

Even the most incompetent employee has a 50% chance of sexing a fish correctly :D

But if that employee can sex them perfectly fine, yet has the signs backwards.... it can be 0% chance of sexing them correctly :fish2:

Just at spetfo for some kitty litter. Girl at the checkout refused to give the woman in front of me a bag for her 2 new Betta, saying it won't have air and die, I offered the idea of not tying the bag so it's airtight?? Girl wasn't having it, poor woman had to carry her bettas out in their cups.. no bag..

Absolutely! I go there in my thick rimmed glasses, pocket protector in my shirt, and grill them for information. When they answer a single question wrong I reply in a nasaly voice "ahuehuehue I can't believe you actually sell fish!"

This makes for one heck of a metal image!

Unfortunately I think it's very difficult to make a career out of a job at the LFS, much like a career out of a job at the LHS (local hobby shop). I worked at a LHS in college because I had a good relationship with the owner and I had interest in hobbies (plastic model building). I enjoyed it and I got a great discount, but most the money earned there went straight back to the store haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some people are good at their job, some aren't. Some people care, some don't. Some get paid enough to care, some don't. It's our responsibility as pet owners of any kind to do our research before we buy a pet. Like it or not, pets are personal property and have limited rights, especially when it comes to fish. My thought is that I need to do everything I can to ensure I give my animals the proper care, regardless of what any LFS employee says I'm going to do my own research and asks questions through different sources.
I'm sorry so many people have bad experiences but unfortunately not much will change that. We can only try to give business to responsible knowledgable people but it's tough.

Want a great tip. Bring your smart phone and Google the question you have lol

Joefish...

Back
Top Bottom