LFS rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, ive had a lot of faith in my LFS. When i first started going there, they told me about the nitrogen cycle and everything. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable about their fish/ plants.. etc. But when i start to do my own research and begin to get some knowledge, and then i realize they don't know what they're talking about. I mean, the manager guy is pretty cool and actually knows what he's talking about. But some of the other people there... well they THINK they know what they're talking about anyway.

Like today for instance. I got 4 more Panda COry's to complete my school. (ive had just two for the LONGEST time) well i saw some Sterba's and i asked the guy, "do you think they'll school with my Panda's" and do you know what he said? Cory catfish don't school. I looked in the tank, they had 4 tanks with 4 different kind of cory's along with a different type of neon in each tank. In all of the tanks the Cory's were schooling back and forth. I said,"what do you call that they're doing" He said "well that's interesting, they don't usually do that"

This isn't the only incidence ive had. I went in one time and told them one of their tanks i got a fish from one of their tanks, pointed out the tank, adn said i had an ich outbreak after introducing the new fish. I told him i was treating it with the Heat and salt. He told me that ich is always present in the fish but stress brings it out. Well after doing a lot of research i KNOW this isn't true and i tried to explain the lifescycle of the Protizoan to him and he told me i was wrong, he said the heat ONLY speeds up the lifecycle. and that it can't be killed completely.

Anyway, i realize that they aren't going to know everything, and that we are all wrong sometimes... but you'd think they'd listen to their customers, especially if they've done as much research as i have.

EGO
That's too bad that they don't want to listen to you or do more research themselves, but that's why we always tell members to do their own research. Kudos to you!

AshleyNicole said:
Anyway, i realize that they aren't going to know everything, and that we are all wrong sometimes... but you'd think they'd listen to their customers, especially if they've done as much research as i have.

Don't feel bad...not terribly long ago, I was kicked out of a local pet shop (chain store) for having the audacity to offhandedly mention that one of their fish was incorrectly labelled (and it was obvious) and then not back down when I was told that I was wrong and did not know what I was talking about. :lol:

well i think next time i go and buy something i will come armed with a handful of research so if they say im wrong, i can prove that im right.

Just to add, i was at walmart looking at their otto's and thought about buying 4 of them and the guy told me " you can't have more than one algae eater or it will die"

I just stared at him and walked away, i didn't even want to touch that one :lol:

Why do you feel the need to "arm" yourself and go into a pet shop and create a scene? You don't have to prove anything to a pimple faced teenager making $5.15/hour paid to put fish in a bag. Be glad you know whats up ahead of time and leave it at that. It's the responsibility of every pet owner to do their own research ahead of time and not rely on someone elses inexperience.

Well, if it was just someone my age, id leave it alone, but this is a 50 year old guy who's worked there for "14 years" and knows what he's talking about. well thats one of the guys there. I don't like being taken for granted just because im young (im 20). Just because im a "kid" to him he assumes i must be wrong. I just want to educate them about how ICH actually works so they can maybe prevent spreading it to their customers. I have spent Hundreds of dollars at that store, its the best in the area. Cleanest tanks, most knowledgeable people. But i think they should know if something is wrong.

Maybe i should be a teacher? LOL. My husband says i have a problem with trying to educate people, but i when im wrong about something, i appreciate when people tell me im wrong about something. ANd if people tell me something that im not sure is correct, i reasearch it.

Be glad you know whats up ahead of time and leave it at that. It's the responsibility of every pet owner to do their own research ahead of time and not rely on someone elses inexperience.

Yeah but a lot of people DO rely on them, and if i can reveal the truth about something, they will be able to better help their customers.

your going to print out Fact Sheet AS-459? ROFL!.. I would just make copies of it and give it to the manager that told you that you were wrong.. You did do the reaserch I remember! Good Work! (y) I realy dont think it would cause a sene.. just make sure to give the web-address that you found the Fact Sheet out so they can look it up themself if they want to verify the autentsity of the information, and youll be fine.. Good Luck.. :mrgreen:

Thanks GreenMagi, I just want people to know the truth.. *sniff :lol:
now i just need to find that website again...

LOL. When he said he never saw cories schooling Ashley, I would have given him a sneer and told him perhaps he needs to be more observant. :lol:

AshleyNicole said:
Thanks GreenMagi, I just want people to know the truth.. *sniff :lol:
now i just need to find that website again...

the link is in my Is salt nessisary for ich treatment thread.. you posted it when we were talking about this.. :D

Back
Top Bottom