Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

LFS Suggests...

When I called about tank prices I explained I was thinking about getting a Eheim can filter. He agreed they were probally the best can filters around, but suggested going with 2 Emperor 400's. He continued to tell me that they are easier to maintain and would probally move more water. Another thing he said was he has had some in his store for 5 plus years and has never had a problem. Not to mention this option is cheaper. What ya'll think?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

go with the canister if you have the money. not to mention your tank is not built for hob filters.

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with MyCatsDrool, your tank is not built for power filters.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, they're quite easy to take care of, and oversizing them is not too expensive either. The initial jump to a canister is what costs the most. Each step up to a larger volume one is less. I went with an XP3 instead of an XP2 on my tank, because it was a $20 price difference.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know anything about your tank, but I'd go with a canister instead of a hob any day on larger tanks. HOBs are easy to maintain because they do not need to be disconnected and opened the same way that canisters do. But I find it easy to maintain my canisters and they require it less often. Plus, I prefer the silence and hidden aspect of canisters.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com