Lid on the aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditosdad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if your supposed to keep a lid or some sort to cover the aquarium water if the legs of their lighting system are mounted on the aquarium edge. Or will the filter, filter out the dust? What are people doing?

You don't have to keep a lid. If you live in a dry place you might get evaporation problems though. Or dust I suppose. Also, some fish are jumpers and will jump out and die without a lid to keep them in. Other than that, a lot of people go without lids (more so in SW just because).

--Adeeb

You can use a hood or "egg crate". Egg crate allows for more air/gas exchange. It's the stuff that covers florescent lighting in offices; available at your local hardware store.

I only lid my aquariums that have likely jumpers.

I like the clean look it gives a tank and it makes PWS and other maintenance chores that much easier. I also have 4 cats and 2 dogs, and hair and dust are not an issue.

However, do make sure the surface agitation of the water doesn't splash on the lamp or the electronics.

Aside from that it is a personal preference whether you cover or not.

I like glass canopies for my tanks. Any fish that swims has the potential to be a jumper. It's really your choice though.

I have hooded lids on my tanks (that come with the tanks), my father always had a piece of glass over his tank so the fish didn't jump out. Since the hooded lid on my 29 gallon isn't all that good anymore, I was thinking of replacing it with a piece of glass too, but if I did that and turned the light on for any period of time wouldn't the glass get really hot and over heat the tank?

gail
GPG

If you're running a big incandescent bulb, I suppose it might be a problem. I have two 18W CFLs sitting directly on the glass canopy on my 20L and the water is touching the lid. The bulbs are on about twelve hours a day and my tank stays around 75, where I have the heater set. It was at 72 until I turned the heater up.

Back
Top Bottom