Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A single cfl bulb, a desk lamp would work.

I am currently using a desk lamp with S11 type bulb 40 watt...the right side does not seem to get enough lighting so I bunched it all over to the left side but I want lighting that will cover the whole tank....

LEDs would work well for the application, or a dual CFL setup if you want to do it on the cheap.

20-30 total watts at 6500-10000K would work well.

Not all LEDs are created equal - high powered LEDs are wonderful for growing plants, but they come at a cost...

20-30 total watts at 6500-10000K would work well.

Not all LEDs are created equal - high powered LEDs are wonderful for growing plants, but they come at a cost...

Okay thank you so much for the assistance..quick response...appreciate it..(y)

By the way, I have a 55g (long) and I have stock (2) 15 watt F15T8 bulbs what do I replace them with to grow low to mod...no co2?

You would want to go with a dual t5ho fixture or LEDs IMO. A dual t8 setup on a 55 won't grow much... You might get some very low light plants to survive but that would be about it.

Fishneedit.com has some economical t5hos if you are on a budget. There are better ones out there but for the price they work well enough.

You would want to go with a dual t5ho fixture or LEDs IMO. A dual t8 setup on a 55 won't grow much... You might get some very low light plants to survive but that would be about it.

Fishneedit.com has some economical t5hos if you are on a budget. There are better ones out there but for the price they work well enough.

Thank you, I so appreciate you:flowers:(y):dance::thanks:

jetajockey said:
If you want to stay low-medium no co2 I suggest a 2 bulb oddysea fixture, they are cheap and don't put out a ton of light, which isn't a bad thing in this case.

+1 Couldn't agree more. Odyssea lights aren't perfect for every application but it would be a great choice for your tank.

What would be a good light for low/mod plants in a 5g?

yay! I was using a desk lamp with the bulb that was in it (s11 40 watt) and it was doing an ok job (plants roots were forming on my anachris) but I got better bulb today, CFL 13 watt 5000K, hopefully not too much BUT just right for a 5 gal...any thoughts?

I tried a 10 watt LED 6000K floodlight over my 5.5 gallon tank and it burned the hell out of all my anubias. I was using an old single 18" T8 that's really to big for it but I happened to have a couple spare 10w floodlights. I use a 20 watt one over my 20H which seems to be fine. I think CFLs are the way to go. Guess I could just use window screen but nones on hand.

Back
Top Bottom