Light advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Co2 isn't a necessity, your right. I just barely started doing some pressurized co2 in my tanks and just a regulator set me back $100. But you can make a really beautiful tank just using liquid carbon(its not liquid co2), it does the same thing just a little slower kinda. Just check out Rivercats on AA, she has an amazing 220g 100% planted high light tank and only uses liquid carbon. My suggestion is still make your own ferts though, its saves Soooooo(needs many more Os) much money. The dry fert pack from GLA $30 lasts a year, a gallon of Metricide(liquid carbon) costs about $24 and will lasts a long time too. Just seachem's excel(liquid carbon) cost me $17 and lasted 3 weeks. For starter plants I would check out hydrophila compacta for a leafy plant and maybe some rotala for a fast growing skinny plant, water wysteria grows quickly and looks pretty neat, and of course you can always do some anubias or ferns. My tanks have some of these plants if you want to see what they look like

Definitely going to look into those plants thanks also love the look of your 75

Danny, DO NOT get this fixture if you plan on doing medium light plants. o.6 watts is a joke. The whole fixture has only 400 lumens. You need HO LED of 2 to 3 watt LEDs and in the right light frequency for plants. I say this as I learned this the hard way myself.(Wasted money) Get a high end LED, plant friendly. Marineland DOES make a good fixture and it has 1720 lumens.($150+ A GOOD led is going to be about $100 to $220(programable) Or go with T5 HO fixture which is cheaper than LED at start up. Don't just take my word for this. Ask some of the more experienced members in here. That's what I did after I realized I needed more light. Also, some models of lights are designed better to get more light they have to the plants. ie. reflector quality.
Hope I can help you avoid wasting money like I did. Life & Luck, OS.

Danny, DO NOT get this fixture if you plan on doing medium light plants. o.6 watts is a joke. The whole fixture has only 400 lumens. You need HO LED of 2 to 3 watt LEDs and in the right light frequency for plants. I say this as I learned this the hard way myself.(Wasted money) Get a high end LED, plant friendly. Marineland DOES make a good fixture and it has 1720 lumens.($150+ A GOOD led is going to be about $100 to $220(programable) Or go with T5 HO fixture which is cheaper than LED at start up. Don't just take my word for this. Ask some of the more experienced members in here. That's what I did after I realized I needed more light. Also, some models of lights are designed better to get more light they have to the plants. ie. reflector quality.
Hope I can help you avoid wasting money like I did. Life & Luck, OS.

That's what I thought I could still have my stock light with the me double t5s so at Max I could have 140 watts would that be pretty good?

I hate themarineland LEDs, not only were they not bright but they left shadows in all the corners. If you want LEDs then pay the extra for good ones so you won't be disappointed, or go t5HO they're cheaper than LEDs but use more energy. Don't forget if you upgrade lighting your ferts and carbon supplements have to increase as well

I hate themarineland LEDs, not only were they not bright but they left shadows in all the corners. If you want LEDs then pay the extra for good ones so you won't be disappointed, or go t5HO they're cheaper than LEDs but use more energy. Don't forget if you upgrade lighting your ferts and carbon supplements have to increase as well

Ok thanks I wasn't sure about LEDs I've only dealt with florescent before and the t5 I want is 108 watt and the light that came with my tank can still fit on the too so I could have up to 140 watts would that help or just increase how much fertilizer and carbon I need to put in?

Ok thanks I wasn't sure about LEDs I've only dealt with florescent before and the t5 I want is 108 watt and the light that came with my tank can still fit on the too so I could have up to 140 watts would that help or just increase how much fertilizer and carbon I need to put in?

Honestly with a dual t5HO you really wouldn't need the other. I had my coralife fixture with a t5 standard output on it as well and I was fighting algae constantly. By removing the t5so and using a timer with the t5HO its not nearly as much of an issue

Honestly with a dual t5HO you really wouldn't need the other. I had my coralife fixture with a t5 standard output on it as well and I was fighting algae constantly. By removing the t5so and using a timer with the t5HO its not nearly as much of an issue

Ok thanks

Zimm,
Which model of the Marineland LED did you have?

The double brights, I'm sure the plant capable marineland fixtures may be better but they were also a lot more money. If I didn't like the double brights I figured it would be safe to assume I hate the single brights. I do use the marineland hidden LED bar for my 75 and love it, but only as a "sunset mode" and for lunar lights.

The double brights, I'm sure the plant capable marineland fixtures may be better but they were also a lot more money. If I didn't like the double brights I figured it would be safe to assume I hate the single brights. I do use the marineland hidden LED bar for my 75 and love it, but only as a "sunset mode" and for lunar lights.

Do you like those I want to get some of those for my tank

Yeah the single and double brights arn't really good enough for plants. Grows good algae though. LOL I got the plant friendly one for a 16g bowfront(18-24") It was $159 at Foster & Smith. (Pricey) I had dual T5 HO's, 30" on my 29g. I had both set up like this for 5 months. Same water, plants, ferts, everything. Even though the 16g is one inch taller (19") than my 29g the LED grew the plants better than the T5 dual. I bit the bullet on the dual T5's and replaced it with quad T5 HO's last week. Looking to get real serious about advanced plants now. I went with T5's on my 29g so I can play around with bulb frequencies. I chime in when someone mentions the regular LEDs for plants because I want to save them the same disappointment I experienced.(and wasted money).
Life & Luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom