light cycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
What sort of light cycle does everyone use? 12 on 12 off? 6 on 6 off 6 on 6 off?

Also, if not 12/12, is it because of heat issues?

just curious

For my planted tanks I use 12 on, 12 off, but my other tanks I don't have the lights on as long to limit algae. I do not have a problem with the lights overheating the tanks.

I run about 12 on and 12 off on 4 of my tanks. The other two are on from 8 AM to noon then 1:30 PM till 8:00 pm. I'm having algae issues on in one of the tanks that is on for 12 hours and I'm sure it's because of the light, but the others so far don't have algae.

My lights are on from 10 to 10 in my planted tank. I put the lights on in my oscar tank when I am in the den watching TV or whatever.

usually a 12/12 but i turn it on when i wake up and turn it off when i go to bed after feeding them

so it differs

I've heard differing views on this issue. According to several people I have asked (including the owner of a reputable LFS), the light is for the owner to enjoy the fish. As such, they have recommended turning lights on only when I am home. This is to lower algae, etc. It kind of makes sense-- I guess FW fish in a natural lake don't receive much light. But I've also heard that fish have biological cycles and need light during the day. I've been confused.

Any thoughts?

From what I've read, fish need light to help with their coloration. It's kind of like sometimes in the morning you may turn on your lights and the fish look kind of pale. But after about an hour they start to perk up. They do need light. It's not just for you. I've noticed that mine are more active when the light is on during the day than when its off.

Back
Top Bottom