Light for 40G Breeder planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jobin13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all.

Looking for suggestions for a replacement for my current lighting, it's a Current USA model 4001. linked here:
Satellite Freshwater LED Fish Tank Lights for Aquariums I Current-USA

This light came with the tank that I bought off craigslist so I didn't really mind. But after looking at it with plants in the tank I know it is not powerful enough to grow plants from edge to edge even with the low light plants I have in there. I also have a few moderate light plants that I'd like to add to this tank.

I have a 12" Amazon sword, Dwarf Saggitaria (Sagittaria subulata), Crypt Parva (Cryptocoryne parva), Narrow leaf Chain Sword (Echinodorus tennellus), Lutea (Cryptocorne lutea), and Cardinal Plant (Lobelia cardinalis).

I'd rather have LED vs bulbs due to energy efficiency..

Any suggestions.

Tank Lighting

Hey all.

Looking for suggestions for a replacement for my current lighting, it's a Current USA model 4001. linked here:

This light came with the tank that I bought off craigslist so I didn't really mind. But after looking at it with plants in the tank I know it is not powerful enough to grow plants from edge to edge even with the low light plants I have in there. I also have a few moderate light plants that I'd like to add to this tank.

I have a 12" Amazon sword, Dwarf Saggitaria (Sagittaria subulata), Crypt Parva (Cryptocoryne parva), Narrow leaf Chain Sword (Echinodorus tennellus), Lutea (Cryptocorne lutea), and Cardinal Plant (Lobelia cardinalis).

Any suggestions.

Hello Job...

Have you considered shop lighting from the local hardware store? A 36 inch 4 bulb fixture and 4 T8, 32 watt bulbs will grow most low to moderate light aquarium plants. These are inexpensive and easy to set up. I doubt the whole works would be more than $50.00 and the lights will last well over a year.

I've used these for years and hang the fixture just above the tank.

B

Hello Job...

Have you considered shop lighting from the local hardware store? A 36 inch 4 bulb fixture and 4 T8, 32 watt bulbs will grow most low to moderate light aquarium plants. These are inexpensive and easy to set up. I doubt the whole works would be more than $50.00 and the lights will last well over a year.

I've used these for years and hang the fixture just above the tank.

B

A fine idea for functionality. However, this tank is smack in the middle of our entrance way so a large shop light isn't the look we're really going for. Granted I can easily make a decorative hood out of scrap wood to keep costs down but it would take some amount of time and well quite honestly... tools I don't have as of yet to make the hood match the stand.. Just moved into my first home and I don't have a shop set up yet..

The reviews on those tanks are super mixed? Some say light lasts weeks, stops working, etc. while others love it... Have either of you had issues?

I also have the Finnex Planted + 24/7 since Christmas. No problems working like a champ.

Finnex 24/7 planted+ is awesome. Good value Vs. Performance and easy to get. Haven't tried the se yet but gonna order a 36" this week.

Have the 48" on my 75.

I have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 on my planted tank and I have it dimmed down to 40%. It works like a charm.

Hey all.

Any suggestions.
I'd go with a finnex stingray

I ended up going with a current USA led plus. I just could spend that much yet. I'll look to upgrade down the line

Back
Top Bottom