Light Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got my new Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO, unfortunately the bulbs are not firing up! What is the deal? A third of one of them lights up, then the end on both bulbs glow orange. What is the deal?! Pics included.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 62
Ive never had this happen before. Maybe just turn them on and leave them for a while?

Ive never had this happen before. Maybe just turn them on and leave them for a while?

Tried never had any change. I am really hoping I don't have to ship it all the way back to California. What a pain that would be.

First, mess with the bulbs to see if the contacts got dislodged or something. Probably not that, but never hurts to check.

It sounds like either an issue with your starter or ballast. Do some google research to learn more about it (as I neither have the expertise nor time to explain it all), and let us know if you think that's what's going on with your fixture.

Yeah pulled both bulbs out, switched sockets for the bulbs. This would be my luck...FML

When you switched sockets, were the same bulbs not turning on, or was it the sample positions that weren't working?

When you switched sockets, were the same bulbs not turning on, or was it the sample positions that weren't working?

Everything stayed the same. Well the the lit the same way they did before, just switched since I moved them. Hope that makes sense.

Just to make sure I got you, the bulb that lit up before lit up in a different socket?

Last edited:
Well, since the bulbs act the same in different sockets, it almost sounds like you might have gotten crappy bulbs. You might try getting some new bulbs, which is usually a decent idea as some fixtures ship marginal bulbs (not sure about yours). Worst case scenario you have backup bulbs when you get a fixture up and running.

Well, since the bulbs act the same in different sockets, it almost sounds like you might have gotten crappy bulbs. You might try getting some new bulbs, which is usually a decent idea as some fixtures ship marginal bulbs (not sure about yours). Worst case scenario you have backup bulbs when you get a fixture up and running.

Which bulbs do you recommend that I replace with. I am wanting a few live plants in my tank, but not many.

....I feel....like a freaking idiot! I just went in reseated the bulbs again moved them around....and boom was blinded by the light (literally) Everything works wonderfully. Thanks for your help everyone.

If you wanted a lightly planted tank, T5s probably weren't your best bet. A balanced tank will reply on fast growing plants to keep algae growth in control. Using high light without carbon AND ferts (as well as good planting) usually isn't a great idea, ie ends up an algae farm.

That being said, look for bulbs with a color temp of 10000K or 6500K. I use a mix of both. Most "Plant Grow" type bulbs will work. I'm a fan of the ones Hagen makes, but any brand should do.

Ah. Delayed response there.

I did the same thing with my Hagen T5. One bulb just needed a good jiggling.

Back
Top Bottom