light on all the time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramrebel

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long should my light be on? Feeding time? When I walk in the door until bedtime? all night?

Thanx,

Ed

Ed~
I think it is all personal preference on that, and whether you have plants or not. I heard leaving the lights on all the time can cause algae to grow more rapidly and it can raise the temp in the tank significantly if it's that kind of bulb. Plants need more light I think, but that is not my area as I have no live plants. What I do is this, I have a 55: At night when I go to bed, I shut all the lights off in the tank and turn a light on across the room to shine on their tank so they can still see :lol: When I wake up, I put one tank light on and keep the other off, so whatever mood the fish in in they can go to that side; then from about 5:00pm to bedtime I have full tank lights on, because that is the time I most enjoy watching them. I doubt any of this rambling is of help, but I'm good at rambling, he he. good luck,
~Melissa~

Its best to try to emulate their natural habtat. I have my planted tank set to come on at 10AM and go off at 10pm. This give the plants 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark. Its belived that having the lights on all the time could acutally stress the fish.

The easiest way to control the light cycle is to get a $3-5 light timmer from walmart. Look in the lighting section. Just get one that has one on/off cycle per 24hours. Usully they have a big dial on them and have two tabs that you set for on and off times. Plug the timmer in the wall, plug the lights into the timmer and set the time on the timmer to be the current time. Then you have worry free on/off lights.

I agree with FF. Fish need to have a day and night cycle so they don't become stressed.Buy a timer and set for no more then 10-12 hrs or you will get algae. The timer is the easiest way and keeps everything on a cycle. The time of day for lights on is up to you.

EMS503

I use timers on my lights on my reef tank.. works great and u can set them and forget them.. also great alarm clock.. heh when the blue actinic kicks on in the morning my bird wakes up which in turns squalks and wakes me up.. its my never failing alarm clock :)

Jacob

hey all

I have a betta fish in a jar, and now it just hit me about the lighting it's getting. I live in a basement and the time the fish sees light is when I go to my room or when it is day time. Does lighting matter for betta fish also? What should I do? Should I put some sort of cover on it at a certain time? Thanks for the help. :D :D

Kris_Toledo~
I have bettas too. Here is some basic guidelines. Bettas should be kept in my opinion in 1/2 gallon of water or higher; if they are in a small container you may need to change the water daily. If they are in 1/2 gallon of water, clean twice a week, 1 gallon water, change 1 time a week.
Next, they are carnivorous (Meat eaters) Mine likes bloodworms alot.
The temp should be about 76 degrees* Small bowls are hard to keep heated, so mine is next to the window in my bedroom.
A healthy betta will have good color, be hungry, and make a bubblt nest at the top of the water. For oxygen reasons I wouldn't seal the top of the jar. Bettas often breathe from the surface, so keep the top clear mostly.
I'm waiting on a betta tank to come into my pet store. It is a tank with a 4 way glass split, so 4 bettas can be viewed in one place. I'll also be able to put a corner filter in so the tank can cycle. As far as light goes, I don't think it matters a great deal. They are from the rice paddies of Thailand, so .... use your own judgement. Long as it has a day and night, It'll be fine I'm sure. Bettas are great fish, very hardy. Good luck,
~Melissa~

In a freshwater tank with lighting you should try to simulate the normal daylight lighting. If you have plants then you should have stronger lighting. If you don't have plants the lighting isn't really that critical. It's more for looks. To vie the fish better.

Back
Top Bottom