Light or no Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok... relativly sinple question... do I leave the light on in my FW tank or shur it off?

I like to watch my fish as I fall asleep but im not sure if its good for the tank... im sure it promotes algee but I have a snail and will get a pleco as well with MAYBE another snail. The tank is not planted.

I also have a little scuba guy that bubbles.... a bubbler wont bother my fish will it... they are all tetra's

The fish would like a normal light cycle. I would buy a cheap timer, whether digital or a dial type, to control the lights. I work during the day so I didn't want my tank dark when I got home from work. I gradually changed the time the light came on and off by 30 minutes each day till I got it to the time I want.

Lights come on at 5:00pm and go off at 1:30am for me. If you have multiple tanks you can do what I did, buy a cheap adapter that takes one outlet to two or three. I plug the lights from both of my tanks into the same timer with this adapter.

As far as the bubbles, I don't think they bother fish at all. I don't have any bubble walls or stones or anything in my tank. Some of my friends do and the fish swim up and down in them all the time.

Just making sure you know you should be careful in your pleco selection... some get to be big buggers over time. You could also do otos-- cute little guys, but appreciate a school of buddies.

Yup-- get a timer. I got one from Target for $10 for xmas tree lights, although it's rattling badly now... just saw one at Petco for $10 as well.

I'd recommend getting a digital one. Wal-Mart has one for about $12 I think. It has a battery also to keep the time if the power goes out. I got an analog one (dial type) and it would turn on and off throughout the day, very unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom