Light source required for sump ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I have a 200l / 50g freshwater tank. I have had it for quite some time now and am thinking of putting together a diy sump filter for the tank. I don't have a problem with the diy at all, but a question that popped up was whether it is necessary to have a light source for the sump tank? My sump would otherwise be hidden in it's totally dark cabinet.

Would the presence / absense of light affect the types of beneficial algaes and bacteria that would eventually colonize the sump?

Thx
Roger

With FW, unless you're planning on growing some anacharis or hornwort or other fast growers to help with nutrient uptake, you don't need the light. If you do use the aforementioned plants, you don't need much light and could use a screw-in CF in a desklamp or an NO cabinet light if so inclined.

Agreed, you don't need light in a FW sump, unless you want some plants/algae for nitrate absorption (in that case your sump is now called a fuge).

However, it is handy to have a light in the cabinet. I wired in a small Florescent fixture that I can turn on when doing maintanance (and when looking for the small parts that I shove in the cabinets for storage!).

Thanks for the replies and suggestions
It seems I came to the right place for the right advice -great forum !

Later, :wink:

Back
Top Bottom