lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nejsux

Aquarium Advice Activist
as a general rule, for a non-planted freshwater tank, (we're tanking small - 5 gallons) how mant watts? regular lighting my friend has 25 watts on a 5 galloin tank, with a really big algae problem. i assume since it remains after water changes, it's the lighting? what's appropriate? any advice?
thanks guys

lights

Well, for a non planted tank, you really don't need much light. I have 40 watts over my 55 FW tank and no algae. For a tank that small, I'd go to www.ahsupply.com and look into the 9 watt PC fixtures. They are only about $15 each and include the bulb (I think). IMO, that would be plenty for a tank that size. I have ordered from ahsupply a couple of times and have been very happy with them so far.
Logan J

My guess would be for a non planted tank that you would need enough light to light your fish to a degree of satisfaction for your own personal viewing.

Obviously if you could time the light exposure to be somewhat simular to their natural habiatats as far as the amount of time on/off.

small tanks usually come with incan lights. a 10-13 watt 6500 k screw in pc would look great.

i just ordered 6 or so 13 watt screw in 6500 k pc's off of ebay. putting 2 over a 5.5 heavily planted.

Back
Top Bottom