Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhansme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased an aquarium for my wife. It is a 55 gallon model and I have it populated with 1 Silver Dollar, 4 african bumblebee cichlids, 2 yellow labs, 4 tiger barbs, and an alge eater. They all seem to get along fairly well. I tried adding an additional silver dollar, but the others pecked out its eyes.........

Which leads me into my real question. How long should the lights be left on? The trouble began when I turned off the lights for the night, and when I awoke I found the silver dollar with its lights out! :( So the light have been on ever since. Is it better to turn off the lights at night or leave them on. I am not familier with their habits so I thought I would come here for the hot skinny.

btw the tank is still cycling, (learned about that here too) Just saw my first increase in Nitrite Level so the little bacteria are starting to grow. I've been doing partial water changes about twice a week while the ammonia level was nearing 1 ppm.

Fish need regular "day" and "night" schedules. It does seem like if something bad is going to happen its going to be while your back it turned, but I don't think having the lights out is what caused your fish to become aggressive.

Just buy a $6-10 digital light timer from home depot (make sure its digital, the other type are really bad). I put mine on from 10am - 6pm.

Back
Top Bottom