Lighting and Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platylover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I am relatively new to the aquarium hobbie and had a quick question.

My question is: Does lighting affect neon tetras?

I have a 20g tank that has been up since the beginning of June and have had 3 neon tetras in it since then with a some other fish (2 many to name at this time). I have been leaving the lights on from 7:00 am to about 8:30 pm and the fish seem to be ok with this. Just this last weekend I went on a 2 day vacation in which I left the lights off the whole time. When I returned, I turned the lights on and noticed that my neon was all grey in color and was just darting irregularly. I was worried for his health. I checked back up on him about an hour later and he had all his color back and was acting normal. He has been fine for the past few days now, so I don't think that he is ill. Is this wierd or is this normal for neon tetras?

PS: the neon that I am referring to is the sole survivor of the original 3 that I bought. The other 2 died from what I can tell is from natural causes, no simptoms of illness. I can't add any more neons to my tank since my platies have mated and is pushing my tank to overload right now.

My cardinals lost all their color every night, and then were fine during the day. It seems to be a normal phenomenon. Turn your lights on late at night and observe the neon. If he is colorless again, and then the next day he's ok, it's fine.

Just a thought, did you ever think of building up the school again? Most tetras are schooling fish and do better in schools of six or more.

*edit* :oops: oops, I just read my post and saw the end of your post...nevermind about the more neon thing

Thank you all. I can rest easier at night now that I know that I am not the only one with this happening. It does seem to be a natural thing. I am looking into a bigger tank to increase the numbers of neons that I can stock. I feel sorry for the little guy. He does actually seem to school alittle with the platy fry that are about 3 months old, but I think that he would be much happier with more of his own kind. :)

I remember I was worried the first time I saw my neons all pale. But when you turn the lights on the color seems to return fairly quickly.

I guess you have alot of fish in the 20 gallon? I have 6 neon tetras in a 6 gallon tank and they seem to be fine in that tank. Along with a beta and ADF.

I have 2 neons in my tank and I freaked out the first time I saw them turn grey (in the evening) I thought they were sick. I've since noticed their colour is back during the day.

I guess you have alot of fish in the 20 gallon?

I do in fact have a lot of fish in there. I have 2 long finned zebra danios, 2 spotted cory cats, 2 CAE's, 1 african dwarf frog, 1 neon tetra, 1 male platie and 5 female platies (two are only 3 months old), 3 black lire tail mollies (one is only a month old, how it survived in the main tank, I don't know), and 14 mollie fry (trying to get rid of those as we speak). :eek:

I am trying to get my wife talked into at least a 55g tank, but so far, no luck. :|

I have some strange, differnt type of neon that turns black during the night, and goes grey during the day.

and on the other note, Your fitler.. if its a HOB, probably killed them.

I had a school in my tank of the little tiny red and blue neons, they did great for two days until the school happened underneath where my HOB Filter lets the water fall into my tank.

that one shock of the water falling reletivly lightly on top of them was all it took to kill the entire school. :evil: :(

I have tried the bride approach on my wife before on behalf of me getting a 55g and she wouldn't take the bait.

This might sound like a dumb question, but what is a HOB filter? If, from what it sounds like is true, would that include my penguin 125 biofilter?

Please disregard the last questions. I just figured out the different color underline thing that happens on some things on this website. Hang on back filter, duh!
I guess that that would include my filter and that could have been the cause to the death of my tetras. The sole survivor must have been smart enough to stay out of that waterfall.

so along the lines of color and tetras: I got up this morning and turn on a light source outside of my tank while the tank light was off and my Cardinals blue portion was really really bright and blue! When I turned on the tank lights the Cardinals all looked really colorful! I am so impressed with my Cardinals! I highly recommend them.. I have 5 Cards and 2 neons and the Cards are so Way COOL!

I got up this morning and turn on a light source outside of my tank while the tank light was off and my Cardinals blue portion was really really bright and blue!
Every source of light has a spectrem. im sure you all know this... but thats why even if a tiny amount of sunlight (full spectrum) peeks through with your tank lights off thinks although dim looks quite dynamic.. different lights sold for aquariums offer different spectrums. check it out some of your fish might like dimmer/brighter lights anyway!

dela

Just a thought, you didn't mention whether your tanks were planted. It really isn't necessary to leave lights on for that period of time. IME I don't have any planted tanks as of yet, I turn my lights on a 6pm till 11pm. That way I get to enjoy my fishes. :D

I use a combo light on my planted tank; a 35 watt 6500k/actinic light (as well as another 15 watt 6500k light). I know the actinic does nothing for the plants but oi, do those neons/cardinals glow!

I set up a bare bottom tank with the intent to grow out discus. It is still cycling and I have cardinal tetras doing the "dirty" work. The cardinals all went pale when first introduced to the tank. Without gravel and a white wall behind the tank it is a very light coloured environment. They were pale for about 2 days, but they have been getting their colour back as they get used to their surroundings.

I have had terrible experiences with neon so I don't get them any more. Cardinals have been good to me and I get them.

My neons are grey when I tun on the lights in the AM but 10 minutes later the neon turns on and they are back to normal. its kinda neat, but it did freek my out the 1st time i saw that!

Back
Top Bottom