Lighting at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndtyank49

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since i don't have a black light on my tank, is it ok that my tank is completely in the dark when i go to bed?

Does it make a difference for sleeping of the fish or not? I want to get one set up in my tank so I can see them at night especially my pleco.

I think a good rule of thumb is you should your fish some dark time. This is JMO but my light is set to completely power off at 12am. I don't turn my lights back on until about 5-6pm. Then it cycles from morning, daylight, evening, moonlight then off. But I have a digital timer on my fixture which allows me to set all different times for different lights. Same can be accomplished with store bought timers.

But again. To answer your question I like to give my guys total darkness for a while. I mean wouldn't you want a nice dark night to sleep or maybe stalk? :)

Is it stressful for the fish if they are in a windowless room, and when you turn the tank lights on, they flicker before going on?

Mine flicker, for 4-7 times before actually turning on.
So in the morning, I turn the room light on for a bit before turning the tank light on to try and minimize the shock of having a seizure light show for the fish

Koikid88 said:
Is it stressful for the fish if they are in a windowless room, and when you turn the tank lights on, they flicker before going on?

Mine flicker, for 4-7 times before actually turning on.
So in the morning, I turn the room light on for a bit before turning the tank light on to try and minimize the shock of having a seizure light show for the fish

Agreed, turn room lights on first or open shades, curtains. Let natural light in then turn your lights on. I go from blue to blue/clear then all daylight then back down till I get to moonlight.

Back
Top Bottom