Lighting for a 20g long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a coral life t5 came with a 6000 I believe and a colormax for my 20 long. 30 inches and I couldn't be happier with the results

image-663046191.jpg

This is what my tank looks like after having the light for about 2-3 months now. I've even had to remove some plants do to overgrowth -.-
If that helps any!

I really dislike odyssea fixtures.. They are cheaply made but they do work and yes they do both use the same size bulbs. I guess I would go with the 30" one if they worked for your budget.

Would the 24" be any worse than the 30"? The 30" is shipped ups whereas the 24" is shipped usps...ups bends me over with import fees and brokerage fees every time, usps doesn't really do anything.

That's a question that someone else will have to answer. I haven't personally laid eyes upon either of the odyssea fixtures at that size.

Too much light will only cause algae problems. The stronger the lights will be, the less will be the photoperiod.

I see the next thread coming: "My water is all green, what I do?"

If your tank is 30" wide, then go for the dual 24". On my 30g wide, I have 2x39W T5HO (2x30") and it's realllyy too much. I inject as much CO2 as I can, and still have algae problems. But growth rate is awesome !

Too much light will only cause algae problems. The stronger the lights will be, the less will be the photoperiod.

I see the next thread coming: "My water is all green, what I do?"

If your tank is 30" wide, then go for the dual 24". On my 30g wide, I have 2x39W T5HO (2x30") and it's realllyy too much. I inject as much CO2 as I can, and still have algae problems. But growth rate is awesome !
Either way the bulbs are still the same size..both 24wx2 = 48 total watt.
The only difference is physical fixture size.

So it means you have a fixture with T5 bulb and another with T8 bulbs ?

Bulb length change the power needed for same bulb technology.

If both the 24 and 30" fixture uses the same size bulbs then I'd go with the fixture that ships and costs the least amount in import taxes and fees. Both will give the same amount of Par. You can't go by watts per gallon with HO bulbs.

Also be sure you have and use either CO2 or a high dose of liquid carbon along with a dry ferts dosing either PPS-Pro or EI. When running a high light tank you have to have enough CO2/liquid carbon and proper macro and micro nutrients that dry ferts provide. Also when setting up such a tank you should only run lighting 6 hours daily for a couple months before trying to increase photoperiod. The general rule is the higher the light the shorter the photoperiod you can run. You can also use a siesta period to keep algae down in high light tanks.

Back
Top Bottom