Lighting for cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I barely know anything about lighting! I know a little though. I have a cichlid tank with gravel and have 3 yellow labs in it for now (adding more) and want to know what lighting I should get . Right now I just have a normal long light (florescent) someone said something about a moonlighting . Some like the environment would be nice.

AFAIK, with no plants, it's pretty much whatever you want. Moonlighting looks cool--I'm thinking of setting it up to come on for an hour or so after the day lights go off (once I have the cash for it *lol*)--but not a necessity.

Convict2161 said:
Like the post above stated. If no plants it whatever you want. Sky's the limit.

I went way overboard and bought a Solarmax Xtreme T5 HO 4 bulb fixture with digital timer built in. Absolutely unnecessary but It was burning a hole in my pocket and with 3 settings and moon lights! It's awesome.

Are T5,T8,T12, etc. are they all fluorescent? Is the one with the moonlights all the way to the right?? Like pics by the way! How much did they cost?? I don't have any plants in tank ether .

Mogurako said:
T8 shop light from lowes/ home depot. 4' dual bulb fixture is $17 bucks.

Great thanks!!! But are all t's florescent ?

Yes, they are. The numbers refer to the diameter of the bulb. Home depot shop lights work great--I have one on my 55 gallon. Two 48" "cool white" T8 bulbs light the fish up wonderfully without being so bright they get blinded.

KaylNeko said:
Yes, they are. The numbers refer to the diameter of the bulb. Home depot shop lights work great--I have one on my 55 gallon. Two 48" "cool white" T8 bulbs light the fish up wonderfully without being so bright they get blinded.

Exactly what I have

Fishie said:
Are T5,T8,T12, etc. are they all fluorescent? Is the one with the moonlights all the way to the right?? Like pics by the way! How much did they cost?? I don't have any plants in tank ether .

The moonlights come on after the 3rd pic. Those lights are called actinic. They are T5 high output. It's one fixture with 4 settings.

Exactly what I have

Cheap's good, isn't it? I sprung for the diamond coating series (29 bucks) for the extra reflectivity and wondering if I wasted the extra money *lol* I think I'll get the cheap kind when I get another set for the tank--I have mostly low light plants, so it's not like I need it super bright.

Back
Top Bottom