Lighting help for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been researching and trying to figure out lights I can get to make my plants grow quicker. I don't f**king get it. So if someone could recommend good lights, I've been going between the finnex planted plus, t5ho, t12, and basically everything else.

All my plants are low to mid light, different types of swords, java fern, Cabomba, Anubias, wisteria, etc. I currently have the Current USA Satellite LED. I have two Marineland Doublebright if those would help any. Tank is 6' long, 28" tall.

I'm leaning more towards LED because I would rather just lay something on the glass versus having to mess with hanging it over the tank. If there are fluorescent lights that I can do that with then by all means mention them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

LEDs are best hung to help with heat dissipation if they don't come with legs. Flourescent lights come with legs and they don't lay on top of the tank unless they are super cheap. Nowadays it's either t5ho or leds to light a tank, other fluorescent bulbs aren't as good.

That being said, what's your budget? How wide is your tank?

Tank is 72x18x28H

All the plants are pretty much along the back of the tank though. Budget....since they're low light plants and I don't want to get into more difficult plants, if I could stay under $300 that'd be good.

Tank is wayyy tall, what type plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is wayyy tall, what type plants?

I know! I'm a giant so I love it but it's a pain in the *** when it comes to this.

I don't even know, man. Anubias...but they're all doing fine. I know I have two red Rubin swords, some java fern, water wisteria, Cabomba, and then random little other things that came from some plant package I ordered.

Cool, low light plants.. get some beams works fixtures on there..

You think those are better than the finnex fugeray planted? Is there any particular type or just whatever fits my tank?

When I upgraded to a finnex planted + my plants took off big time. Just the 3 months ive been doing live plants ive learned to use root tabs especially on swords, take the charcoal out of filter, once a day liquid co2 and leaf zone by api once a week. Good luck

I use flourish root tabs as well as flourish, excel, and trace liquid fertilizers. Only things in my filter are coarse sponges around the outside of the baskets then the middles are just filled with BioMax. How deep is your tank that you used the finnex lights on?

I love my Finnex planted plus. I am amazed at how my plants have taken off with the addition of that one. I plan to add a Finnex Ray 2 DS next. I am replacing Current TruLumens, which stopped fully working soon after I bought them. I have a 125 gallon tall tank (30"), and the Finnex sit on little feet on the top of the acrylic tank.

I just bought my lights for my 75 gal. Tank from Catalina aquarium they are great I had them before on a 100gal. Tank that I had to sell, never had any problems with them you just call and tell them what you want pick out what bulbs you want and they will ship it out to you. Here's what I got I just changed one bulb to an antic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom