lighting/hood choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIY or buy a light hood?

• DIY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on adding some basic low maintenance low light plants to my 20g long. I'm not sure which ones yet, but I am trying to figure out a lighting situation before I get them.
Here's my dilemma. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Only around $50 max. And I've come to wonder if that's possible... I think I want PC lights because they last longer, so I think I only need a 36watt, if that.

I couldn't find anything to help me in the DIY section or google - all the projects were overcomplicated or for some elaborate system with high lights or coral life.

I also looked on www.ahsupply.com for one of those kits. The only one that might fit my tank is the 2x36watt long option with the 35" reflector, which means any enclosure i make would be even bigger. That would hang off my 30" top. This kit is $62 - more than I want to pay for something I might screw up. But I would be willing if there wasn't a better option.
I also went to home depot today to see if it would be cheaper to buy parts, but the guy I talked to wasn't helpful and I just ended up confused and he kept pointing me to their other not for plants aquarium lighting.
I also haven't been able to find a decently priced hood unit, even on eBay!

Someone help me! What is the best option for me, to put together my own or by a premade one? I am looking for something very basic and simple for low light plants.

I have a glass hinged top right now. So anything to put on top or something to replace it would be fine. Let me know what I can do!

do you have a standard hood for your 20L?
if so you should have a NO light that can be overdrivin.. and no you dont have to 4X it for hight light coarl use.. you can 2X it and get 150% of the normal output of the bulb (at the same power useage roughly)..
the ballast is availible from HD for around $8 the ballasts specs are 2-F32T8..

I was in a similar situation. I had a 20 g long tank laying around. I didn't want to spend too much on it but wanted enough light for some plant growth. I think I spent a total of 24 dollars to build a canopy and add 48 watts of lighting. I had all the other wood laying around in the "scrap" pile in the shop. With wood, paint, and molding probably around 40 dollars.

img_507263_0_39db0e05dfeaa996babfcc87497cec35.jpg

img_507263_1_32b7b5068ae40c71046724e78b1d5e95.jpg

Back
Top Bottom