Lighting Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codiferous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

So I've been told I need to upgrade my T8 lights as it doesn't support plants all k that well. I stupidly bought some before going on here and doing my research. I know that I need something along the lines of a T5 which I've been looking at. I've also been looking into LEDs as they're more energy effecient and most come with moonlighting.

My main question is: which is the best light from both the T5 and LED classes that I can get that can support plants (moderate to bright light on the PetsMart scale) without breaking the bank? I'm looking to spend up to $50-60. I'm also open to DIY projects.

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I have an Aqueon 36 bowfront, with the lights in the 24" size

Go to directaquarium.com and click on "aquarium lighting supplies." You can definitely find one in your price range there, your only potential problem would be finding one small enough. For the type of plants you are growing, you will need a light that is close to 2-3 watts per gallon of water. So, for a 36 gallon, a 70-110 watt bulb would be fine.

Also, high-light plants need fertilizer tabs so make sure to get those. You may also need to look into co2 injection.

Your Lighting Question

Hey guys,

So I've been told I need to upgrade my T8 lights as it doesn't support plants all k that well. I stupidly bought some before going on here and doing my research. I know that I need something along the lines of a T5 which I've been looking at. I've also been looking into LEDs as they're more energy effecient and most come with moonlighting.

My main question is: which is the best light from both the T5 and LED classes that I can get that can support plants (moderate to bright light on the PetsMart scale) without breaking the bank? I'm looking to spend up to $50-60. I'm also open to DIY projects.

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I have an Aqueon 36 bowfront, with the lights in the 24" size

Hello cod...

I really can't think of a reason you can't use a couple of 32 watt, 6500K, T8 bulbs. I mean, since you have some already, it seems a waste to go with something else. All you need is a fixture to hold two bulbs and if you keep the lighting to the moderate level, you don't need to go to the added expense of CO2.

Just a thought.

B

I agree with Bbradbury, if you can get two 32 watt bulbs that would be more cost efficient and you wouldn't have to do co2.

Also, I believe that 2-3 watts per gallon rule does apply to LED lights as well.

Your Lighting Situation

Hello again cod...

If you keep only plants that require low to moderate light, you can do fine with 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon of tank size. Here's a suggestion: Get a two bulb fixture and go to the local hardware store and find T8s or T12s and get GE aquarium plant bulbs, 6500K with the highest watts. Generally, the T12s will have a few more watts than the T8s. Either will work in a standard fixture. Add up the watts and divide the number of gallons of tank size into the number of watts. This will give you watts per gallon. This is what I did starting off and the plants grew fine.

B

codiferous said:
I've been searching, but I can't seem to find them in the 24 inch size :(

You can't get a 24" bulb at 32 watts. LEDs don't use the watt per gallon system, neither do T5s. A single T5 light like the one from Hagen on Amazon would be all you would need to grow plants without CO2. If you want higher light with CO2 you can order the 2 bulb 24" planted tank fixture from Odyssea or FishNeedIt to fit into your budget. Having high lights means you have to have CO2.

Honestly, you should be able to grow low light plants with the fixtures you already own as long as you put in 5500-6500K daylight bulbs. You could either get some ZooMed bulbs from a pet store or get daylight T8s from a place like Lowes or walmart.

Basically, either stick to easy to grow plants and just make sure you have daylight bulbs... Get a single T5 light fixture and grow up to medium light plants... or get a 2 bulb T5 PLUS a co2 system and grow anything up to high light/co2 dependent plants. Any way you choose to go you will still want to use some fertilizers. Good luck!

You guys are freakin awesome.

I have oooone laaaaaast question before I stop being a pain in the arse:

Once I get my new light, how do I go about mounting it? Do i just need to take the whole hood off and have it exposed?

I always mount my lights into a hood. If you have a hood there are lots of ways to do it (screwed into the top, sitting on wooden ledges, hung from chains, etc..). If you don't want to use a hood all fixtures have legs.

I prefer to simply have my lights sitting on wooden rails screwed to the inside sides of the hood. It makes it easy to change the bulbs. I also always like to have 2-3 different sets of wooden rails. That allows me to change them out easily to either lower or raise the lights.

There are people who leaves their hood off but make sure your fish won't jump out first. For safety its best to put a flat hood so you don't have to find your fish laying on floor when you come home because accident can happen.

Good luck!
-B

I agree with Bbradbury, if you can get two 32 watt bulbs that would be more cost efficient and you wouldn't have to do co2.

Also, I believe that 2-3 watts per gallon rule does apply to LED lights as well.

I have a question regarding light vs CO2, can you explain me why with higher light you need to do CO2?

-B

3 main components are essential for plants to grow: light, temp, and co2 (besides ferts). When any one of the 3 increases, the others should as well. When higher lighting is used, temp might be ok, but co2 will be the limiting factor in good plant growth. Lacking co2 may cause algae outbreak. That's why co2 is bumped up as well. Also, carbon is building block for plant growth. This is a very "readers digest" version so hope it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom