Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 6,500 k bulbs,but my hood only holds up to 25 watts I want to get more light in my tank can you direct me to some good light bulbs to get or a tank hood that can fit the long bulbs. MY tank hood outlet can only hold 2 small bulbs and I want to get some baby tears.

Is yours fluorescent?

I use incandescent fixtures with screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs at 20 watts each, this gets me 40 watts of compact fluorescent light on a 10 gallon. Get a glass canopy and you can put two of those fixtures on there totalling 80 watts. I use Coralife's bulbs, they come in 50/50 or 'Colormax' (a pinkish white bulb for planted freshwater tanks).

You can also get a glass canopy and get a HOT5 fixture with individual curved reflectors.

+1 If you have an incandescent hood, CFLs are the way to go. I've got a pair of daylight spectrum 18W CFLs over my 20L and the plants grow like weeds.

I have the Hagen 25W Sunglo, one of those tubes gives amazing light, plants grow amazing and the fish seem to enjoy it as well.

Back
Top Bottom