Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 60 gallon freshwater with 3 live plants (looking to add more).
I have the Aqueon Freshwater T5 light fixture (48 inches), with glass tops.

And I have been thinking about raising the light a few inches above the tank. But I'm wondering is it better to have the light right on the top of the tank or does it make that much of a difference ??? How high should I raise it above the tank ?

And what would be the best want to raise it up. I was thinking about just putting some plant hooks in my ceiling and using fishing line to hang the light from at the height I want it. Will this work ?

Here is a picture of my tank. Not how well you can see the light fixture but its right on top of the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406042265.365091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes you could move the light a little higher but I don't see a Reason. The more raised the light is the less light your plants get.

Yes you could move the light a little higher but I don't see a Reason. The more raised the light is the less light your plants get.

Okay great to know. Thanks

What are my options for better bulbs I can use in my Aqueon Freshwater T5 light fixture (48 inches)???

I want to make sure I'm using the best bulbs (to produce the most light) that I can be using.

Thinking about going tomorrow and looking at some new bulbs for my Aqueon Freshwater T5 light fixture (48 inches).

What would be my best options?? Want to get something better for my plants.

It looks pretty bright right now. Why do you want new bulbs? I wouldn't advise raising it above the tank, especially with fishing line and plant hooks? Doesn't sound that stable. If it comes crashing down......your plants seem fine. New bulbs are pricey no reason to replace unless your plants are suffering a lot from light deprivation

Okay. Great advice. Thanks.

Was just thinking. I have some dwarf grass that I recently added and it doesn't seem to be doing that great. So was just wondering if that would help.

Dwarf grass sometimes dies from shock of new water parameters. Then it bounces back a few weeks later

Great to know. Thanks. Hopefully mine will bounce back.

So I should just stick with my set up I have now?

Back
Top Bottom