Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lighting question

Hi all......

I'm wanting to replace the fluorescent bulb on my 20 gall tank (hoping to completely rule out lighting as the cause of an ongoing brown algae problem).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking the general rule is 1 watt per gallon. I don't have any live plants, though, so does this still apply? Currently it's got a 15 watt bulb on it. Also, silly as this may sound, how do I know what size bulb to get? Do I measure just the bulb itself or measure it end to end??

Thanks for the help.......

Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your tank is not planted, the watts does not matter. When replacing the bulb, measure the bulb from end to end. Also, look on the bulb for the size. It could be a T5, T8, etc.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, Fishy.....what is T5 or T8?? I've looked on the bulb and it says nothing about size, unfortunately (it's the bulb that came with the aquarium kit). I'm wanting to order the bulb from Big Als but just not sure what I should get.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The T number is the width of the bulb. The slender ones are T5. The wider they get the larger the number. There should be numbers written on the bulb, what does it say?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It doesn't say much.......it just says TFC Bioplant FL 15BR. Just guess-timating, it looks like the diameter of the bulb is roughly 1 inch, and has the 2 pins on either side.

Thanks so much for your help on this .
Old 12-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The bulb will either be T-8 or T-12. Most likely T-8 which is slimmer and produces more light than a comperable T-12.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
I would agree, 15" T8 bulb

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...849&pcid1=1843

The light from a powerglo gives the fish a very nice look, also being 18k (instead of a flora bulb like the one you have now) it's unlikely to contribute to an algae problems.

Aqua glo is also nice, both are also available at PetSmart if you're looking for a closer store, then you can bring the bulb in and compare them side by side.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...849&pcid1=1843

The light from a powerglo gives the fish a very nice look, also being 18k (instead of a flora bulb like the one you have now) it's unlikely to contribute to an algae problems.
How do you figure it won't contribute to algae, given its description:

"Promotes coral, invertebrate and plant growth. High intensity. Photosynthetic deep marine spectrum. Total illumination for living corals, marine algae and freshwater plants. Power-glo is a high intensity bulb that provides rigid illumination required by corals and freshwater plants. Fish colors are intensified while the deep marine spectrum stimulates growth of macro marine algae and other plants. Use power-glo in a wide range of habitats including aquariums, terrariums and vivariums."

I have this bulb in my tank and I think its a better bulb for an unplanted tank:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=1843;pcid2=
Old 01-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wasn't going by description, I was going by personal experience with the bulb.

and how is
Quote:
The Color Intensifier Lamp is packed with red and blue spectrum color enhancing phosphors. It will maximize and intensify the natural colors of all aquarium fish while also providing proper lighting for aquatic plant growth.
any better?. the colour that comes off a powerglo is what most fish showrooms around here are also using.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
18.000K is a marine light. That spectrum does MARINE algae, not FW algae as much. You can definately use this light, it will be a very white light to use.

i have also used the same light on tanks and there was no algae growth that boomed from it. Again this was a FW tank. The plant growth will be lacking though as it is a marine bulb on a FW tank. The spectrums are slightly different. I have grown certain plants, but i wouldn't hold your breath as it all depends on your local water and nutrients in the tank.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all the help and links! I ended up taking my current bulb into Petsmart just to be sure I got the right one. As it turns out, it is an 18" T8.

How often is it recommended to replace these bulbs??

Thanks again .
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

About every 10-12 months I believe. Glad to see you got it sorted.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com